What's new

Atoms, SVS, and my Plans (1 Viewer)

Lee M T

Second Unit
Hey everyone,

I've been racking my brain and confusing my ears for a while now. My original plan was to slowly piece together a speaker package because my funds are very slow coming. But the more I think about it, the more I think I should just save money to get an entire package all at once. Perhaps even catch a blowout sale like Polk is having while replacing the RTi's. Anyhow...

In the meantime, I figure I could get the sub I want, the SVS 25-31PCi, and buy a set of Paradigm Performance speakers for less than I was looking at spending on a single pair of bookshelves. Around $600 or so. Then afterwards begin saving for something significantly better. The sub stays though. :)

4 Paradigm Atoms
1 Paradigm CC-170
1 SVS 25-31PCi

Would the SVS be too much for this system?

Thanks,
Lee

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would highly recommend you consider Axiom M3Ti (or possibly even the M2), as they don't cost too much more than the Atoms and they sound considerably better. Atoms don't cut it as mains, IMO.

While the allocation of money is bottom heavy to the sub, it will not be too much for this system. It will just be one thing you won't have to upgrade for a while.

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
The Atoms are very nice. I went with the Titans because I wanted a little more umph, but auditioned a Marantz 6300 with the Atoms to see how the Marantz matched with Paradigms. Those Atoms were impressive. They were very full, detailed and I was surprised they were able to push so much volume considering their size.

I'm partial to Paradigms and I would highly recommend them. I currently use the PDR-10 for my setup. If you are going with the Atoms, the PDR-10 should be plenty for you as it is for my Titans/CC-170/ADP-170.

Lee M T

Second Unit
I really like what I see with the Axioms myself John. I may even go with Axioms later down the road. But I can get the five Paradigm speakers for about $550 and I will probably even be able to chew down a little off of that. I'll be buying these for just a temporary system. Although it will probably take between one or two years to finally save up the amount I would like for my final five speakers. Plus, right now my room is just 10' x 11' x 9'. So a single 1" tweeter could blow my head off. hehe

Rick, I too have been impressed with Paradigm. They are one of the speakers in the running for my final speakers. But I am so in the air. I have so far heard B&W 600 series, Paradigm Monitor, Energy Conny's, and Klipsch Reference which are all in my price range and I really like them all. Each have thier own pros and I just can't decide. I also am checking into Axiom as well. But, since it will take me a long time if I were to start piecing together now. I think I'll go ahead and get my 5.1 going a.s.a.p. and then I'll be able to save afterwards, thus researching and listening more. Possibly finding a closeout on a soon to be replaced line, maybe even going higher into the food chain if that were the case.

Thanks for the help guys. The SVS is really going to look monsterous next to the Perfromance speakers. I still want to listen to the Para's again before I make a final decision.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have nothing against Paradigm, I've owned them for many years. With that being the case, I'd strongly recommend the Titans for mains vs the Atoms. The lower extension of the Titans will do better as mains (I am still using v3 Titans as my surrounds right now). The Atoms are more controlled than the Titans, expeced due to their lack of extension, but I don't feel they go low enough to be used as a main speaker unless they are crossed over fairly high, too high to blend nicely with a sub.

I recently sold my v3 Atoms that I was using in my bedroom system, and while they were good, they didn't quite cut it at volume when driven hard full range, and actually, I was not happy with the Titans this way either.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Atoms and titans both sound great. I own a pair of titans on a second system, and I've heard atoms at my friend's a few times, they also sound wonderful, but not quite as much bass. Still, if you're crossing over relatively high, it may not be that big an issue. And an SVS would go WONDERFULLY with either. I have an SVS with mini-monitors, and it's great.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
Lee MT- I'm thinking I will eventually put my Titans to the rear as surround backs, and get Monitor 7s up front as my mains. As for deciding on speakers, it also really depends on your receiver as some don't match well with certain speakers. There aren't many that match well with Paradigm so I got a Marantz. If I were to leave paradigms, I'd have to look for speakers that are a good acoustic match with Marantz.

Lee M T

Second Unit
Yeah, the receiver may play a very large role. I use a Yamaha, which I love dearly. So, my possible Klipsch option in the future could turn out ugly. :D It's really upsetting too. Because the Klipsch option is really best for me as far as design, function, and price. I'd like to have front ported speakers, because rear ports would be very close to the wall. I'd like dipoles for rears (I assume) because I'm after 90% HT. Price would be $1200 for the Klipsch Ref series. That is a nice setup. But how will they sound in my room on the Yamster? No clue. I luckily have carpeting, curtains, bedspread, lots of other things going on in my room.

I previously had a Pioneer receiver and had some old Cerwin towers on there (yuck), and I was fine with that at the time. I also tried out my dad's old Infinity Sterling Bookshelves. Fine with that as well. But fired up this new Yammie I got over the summer (Pio died after ten years) and both sets of speakers really livened up. I'm actually just using my dad's old sealed Infinity bookshelves now. The bass is seriously almost as much as my ported 10" CV's and definately cleaner. The mids are also much more defined. So, I don't know. I know that when I listened to Para, Energy, Klipsch, and B & W in the stores, I was very satisfied with each. But nothing beats in home listening. That's a bridge I'll have to cross when I get the money.

I was really satisfied with the B&W set I heard, and my personal inclination is to go with those. 4 DM601's and an LC60, but the bookshelves are not mag shielded. Unreal!

Does anyone have any thoughts on Canton?

Wow, I type a lot.

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
My Titans aren't shielded either. It only matters if your have a CRT TV (which I do) so just move the speakers 6-12 inches away from the set. Thing is, depending on the TV size, mains are supposed to be like 6 feet apart anyways, wide enough where shielding isn't an issue.

If i went away from Paradigm, B&W and Energy is where I'd most likely go.

Lee M T

Second Unit
Rick, get a load of this one...the way my itty bitty room is setup, I'd have about three inches of room from my mains to the edge of my TV. It's crazy. I have a CRT TV as well. But there is only one way to setup my current room. I have my room door to the left and my closet door to the right. The room door opens into the room. So, I have about 46" of width to play with and I have a 27" WEGA TV. Not a good layout I'm afraid. I also don't have a couch or chair of any kind, so I use the bed. Which means I'm up high, so I have to have my bookshelves on tall stands, which put the top of the mains just mere inches from the bottom of my TV. It really sucks. Eventualy I'll be in a different room, but I can't say how soon. So I have to consider the future, but I need it to work now as well. It's really a tough situation.

This is all yet another reason why I figure I may drop the $500 or so for the Paradigm setup. I'm sure the Axiom's people are recommending would at least be on par if not better. But we're talking another $100-$250. I'm not sure I need to spend the extra cash in this particular case, because it'll be replaced eventualy anyhow. I'm just trying to go decent, but as cheap as possible to tide me over. I just hope there isn't a significant drop off in SQ as compared to my dad's old Infinity's, which in my opinion, sound great. I don't have enough experience with great home audio/video, but I do have a lot of experience points for high end car audio, plus I'm a musician, so I know what sounds good. I don't know if I could take a step back. We'll see what happens, even then this probably won't happen until just after Christmas. I'm lame. ha

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
Have you listened to the Atoms yet? It sounds as though you haven't. If not, I really recommend it. Listen to your Dad's Infinities and then bring the same CD to the paradigm dealer and check it out. Also, Paradigms are decent matches with the newer Yamaha's from what I've read. Also, think of any purchase as a trial, because andy and everything can be returned. So don't think of it as buying speakers that you are stuck with. Buy them, bring them home, set them up and listen to them for a few days. Then, after that if you aren't happy take them back.

Axioms are nice from what I've read, but they also weren't perfect. Also, you can't hear them at a store, it's all internet based. So for my money, I'd go with Paradigms which are carried locally and I don't think you'll hear a SQ drop off. Klipsh are nice, but there non ref line is too heavy, too boomy for me.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you don't like the Axioms, you can send them back within 30 days also (restocking fee I believe).

The M3ti lacks some bass, but it did everything else better. Bass is comparable to the Atom, while detail was better than my Mini Monitors, which cost nearly $100 more/pr. That being said, the Paradigms will probably carry a better resale value because they have a more widely known name. Check with your Paradigm dealer, as they should have a trade in plan if you want to upgrade within 1 year. Then you could move to the Monitor series or Studios. Also check to see if they will lend you a pair to try out. My dealer let me borrow Studios to try out.

If you don't really care, go get some Polk RTis which are being closed out right now due to the new models.

Lee M T

Second Unit
Lots to think about. Thanks for all the help everyone. I definately haven't heard the Axiom's, I don't know of anyone who owns them any where close to my location. But I'm not against in the in-home 30-day trial as I may end up with Axiom's for my final speakers. I'm really intrigued by a pair of M22ti's, VP 150, and pair of QS8's. Actually, just the Epic Master System seems like it would be good enough for me. Although the rear ports are going to be tricky, from my wall to where the front of the speaker will be is only 19" deep. Of course, I could tone down the bass through my reciever until I move to a larger room.

ArthurJ

Second Unit
The M22ti, VP150, and QS8's will blow you away, especially for the price. There will be no reason to upgrade your speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks