Atoms , Encore , Quintet

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by StevenCL, Aug 8, 2005.

1. StevenCL

StevenCL Auditioning

Building a HT, undecided which to chose Atoms, Encore or Quintet. Sub is paradium PDR10. 50:50 on music and movies. Thanks.

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Atoms are good, but I recently picked up a set of Athena AS-B1s for relatives. While they are not perfect speakers, they are quite impressive for the price. They seemed rather light, but build quality is decent. They are somewhere between Titans and Atoms in size, and look more or less simiar. Bass is quite good and midrange is surprisingly clear, and IMO, this speaker will easily best the Atoms in that category. The highs are on the bright side, but are not too unlike the sound of the tweeters in the Atoms and Titans. Overall, they are definitely worth a listen, and I can say that because I have owne both the Atoms and Titans. The main reason I mention them though, is because they are on sale for $100/pr., and the B2s are $149 right now at www.audioadvisor.com.

I'd also have to say skip the Paradigm sub and look at something like the Dayton 10" or 12" subs from www.partsexpress.com PN#300-632, 300-634. The 10" is quite well regarded around here for the price, and it is on sale right now.

4. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Well, it's not as much fun for me to chime in when John isn't promoting the Titans, but I'll throw a vote out there for the Atoms, too [​IMG] I loved those little guys for both HT and music. I'll definitely agree with John about the sub...I owned that Paradigm PDR-10 and it's crap for what they charge.

5. John Garcia

John
    I say go TITANS over Atoms. Better? [​IMG]

IMO, the Athenas are a pretty good value. The highs are a bit more forward than the 'digms (not surprising as Energy is their parent company), but not to the point that they are offensive, and they are priced quite well at the moment. Vocals are more clear than the 'digms, but I'd have to give the highs to the 'digms. Build quality feels better on the Paradigms though, they just feel more substantial to me.

6. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

lol, yes, I feel as though the universe is in balance once again [​IMG]

7. StevenCL

StevenCL Auditioning

How,s the ms 302?

8. John Garcia

John
    Haven't heard the 302, but I have 902s and I love them. I read a very good review of the 300 series HT package in What HiFi. The 902s are very neutral, with just a hint of metalic coloration in them. Probably the smoothest sounding aluminum tweeter implementation I've heard, and the 302 uses the same tweeter. Better for small-medium rooms, but very good speakers.

www.ac4l.com carries some models from Mordaunt Short NEW, at discounted prices. That's where I bought my 902s.