What's new

Atmos w/ a cathedral ceiling in an apartment?... (1 Viewer)

Danny Lopez

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny Lopez
Good evening all,
I have a tricky situation I'm trying to find a solution for. Allow me to paint this picture for you...
I live in an apartment with a cathedral ceiling.
It's an open floor layout with the living room on the opposite side of the main hallway to the building.
The dining room just behind the living leading to the second half of the apartment.
As you walk through the entry door to the apartment the kitchen is to the right of the living & dining rooms. It divides the dining room with an island.
I would say this layout covers a little more than half the size of the to apartments' square footage.
From the exterior wall (9' in height) to the center of the layout (just under 12' in height at the peak) there's, approximately, a 3/12 pitch in the ceiling.
The tv is mounted on the joining wall (my apartment - building corridor). So the angle follows the sitting area. This is when it gets tricky.
Without making large holes the the ceiling, I would like to include an atmos setup. The priceless question - HOW?!?!?
I would provide some pics when I'm allowed to.
All suggestions and questions are more than welcome.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Good evening all,
I have a tricky situation I'm trying to find a solution for. Allow me to paint this picture for you...
I live in an apartment with a cathedral ceiling.
It's an open floor layout with the living room on the opposite side of the main hallway to the building.
The dining room just behind the living leading to the second half of the apartment.
As you walk through the entry door to the apartment the kitchen is to the right of the living & dining rooms. It divides the dining room with an island.
I would say this layout covers a little more than half the size of the to apartments' square footage.
From the exterior wall (9' in height) to the center of the layout (just under 12' in height at the peak) there's, approximately, a 3/12 pitch in the ceiling.
The tv is mounted on the joining wall (my apartment - building corridor). So the angle follows the sitting area. This is when it gets tricky.
Without making large holes the the ceiling, I would like to include an atmos setup. The priceless question - HOW?!?!?
I would provide some pics when I'm allowed to.
All suggestions and questions are more than welcome.
Hi Danny, welcome to HTF!

This sounds like a challenging space, but definitely nothing insurmountable. Contrary to popular belief, higher ceilings actually make Atmos easier, within reason. Check out this article for some info.

You're going to want to do one of two things. Option one is to use a pendant style speaker that hangs down, while option two is to mount speakers on the ceiling that have high directivity so they work from higher up - this is what they do in commercial cinemas.

Pendant speakers are fantastic since you can lower them to an ideal height that works with Atmos:

If you can swing it financially, I would use something from this series: https://jblpro.com/product_families/control-60-series-pendant-speakers#.WqwxGejwaUk.

Here they are on Amazon:

1593436730754.png

If you'd like to avoid pendants due to looks or cost, the next best option is to use a combination of an articulating mount on the ceiling, with a high directivity speaker. Here's an option for that - note this is a bit on the low-end, and going with something larger/full range will be even better:

Speakers:

Mount:

Whichever option you choose, you'll need to get some wire run. If getting wire into the ceiling is a problem (most electricians should be able to do this), then you can use wire raceway like this that can be ordered in a variety of colors and/or painted:

Last edited:

Danny Lopez

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny Lopez
Hi Danny, welcome to HTF!

This sounds like a challenging space, but definitely nothing insurmountable. Contrary to popular belief, higher ceilings actually make Atmos easier, within reason. Check out this article for some info.

You're going to want to do one of two things. Option one is to use a pendant style speaker that hangs down, while option two is to mount speakers on the ceiling that have high directivity so they work from higher up - this is what they do in commercial cinemas.

Pendant speakers are fantastic since you can lower them to an ideal height that works with Atmos:

If you can swing it financially, I would use something from this series: https://jblpro.com/product_families/control-60-series-pendant-speakers#.WqwxGejwaUk.

Here they are on Amazon:

View attachment 74773

If you'd like to avoid pendants due to looks or cost, the next best option is to use a combination of an articulating mount on the ceiling, with a high directivity speaker. Here's an option for that - note this is a bit on the low-end, and going with something larger/full range will be even better:

Speakers:

Mount:

Whichever option you choose, you'll need to get some wire run. If getting wire into the ceiling is a problem (most electricians should be able to do this), then you can use wire raceway like this that can be ordered in a variety of colors and/or painted:

I really like the pendent idea. I didn't know such a thing existed. I was going to buy a few Martin Logan in-ceiling speakers, building a box for each of them, and mount them on the ceiling. But this is a lot less messy than my idea.

Thanks for your input. I'll be looking into these shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks