1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Atmos vs non Atmos

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by NewAtThis, Aug 8, 2018.

1. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    From what I can tell, if you're OK with a 7 channel receiver, then you can go a lot less expensive, especially if you're willing to go refurb. for example, This Denon is only $250. As you look through them, make sure anything you consider has Atmos and DTDS:X. Some of the ones they offer are older and don't have that. If you want a 9 channel receiver, then it appears that $750 is about your minimum, and that's for a refurb. Marantz refurbs are a really good deal. The 7 channel SR5012 is $500, and the 9 channel SR6012 is $750. The 9 channel Denons I saw were about the same price, in which case I'd go Marantz.

John Dirk likes this.
  2. NewAtThis

NewAtThis Auditioning

Shehak
    I might be about to ask a dumb question here... Are the speakers connected via HDMI or using those speaker wires that use the red and black wires to the receiver? I noticed that these receivers come with around 7 hdmi ports.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

No such thing as a dumb question.

The answer: Regular speaker wire.

Most any HDMI port on a receiver is an input for any different source you may have (for example, a Blu-ray player, Roku box, cable box, etc.) There will also be an HDMI output (or two, sometimes) to send the appropriate signal to your TV/projector.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Note that if you purchase speakers separately from your receiver, you are going to need to purchase speaker wire to connect the speakers to the receiver (not expensive) and you'll need the appropriate cables (mostly HDMI) to connect all of your sources to your receiver. If you have a 4k display, you will want high-grade HDMI cables to ensure passage of proper signals.

Amazon has several different flavors of speaker wire.

5. NewAtThis

NewAtThis Auditioning

Shehak
  6. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
  7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

My son purchased one of these Onkyo systems back in 2012. It sounds terrific for the price. The only downside was that the receiver went bad about a year ago and he has sinced replaced it. But that's one of the good things about the Onkyo systems: they are not proprietary. If a piece of it goes, it is replaceable/interchangeable with any other gear currently on the market--no special connectors, odd ohms rating for the speakers, etc.

But I have raved about his system and recommended it numerous times on this forum.

You'd be pleased.

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    In case it isn't obvious from the previous responses. . .skip anything labeled "Bose." You'd be paying for the name, not the quality.

Also, don't let anyone talk you into buying expensive cables or wires from a B&M store. Buy 'em cheap online.

FWIW, I bought a Sony STR-DN1080 Atmos receiver last year and am VERY pleased with it. The interface is mildly annoying, but the sound quality is spectacular. List is $600, but you can usually get it for $500. It was $400 around Black Friday last year (I actually paid $335 for an open-box model at Best Buy :) ).

On a side note, I bought a pair of Sony Core Series 5 speakers ($120/pr) to use as surrounds a few weeks ago, and they are very impressive for the price.

I've never been a Sony fan boy (their TVs tend to be overpriced IMO), but I might be turning into one. . .

9. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Be very careful, though, of Amazon Basics HDMI cables, particularly lengths 6 feet and longer. They may say HDMI 2.0 or "High Speed," but as many have found out, 6 ft and longer are actually HDMI 1.3 (not even 1.3a).

Aaron Silverman likes this.
  10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Good point. You don't have to spend a lot, but you do want to make sure you get the latest specs.

11. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    The real point I was trying to make is that be sure you purchase cables from a company that has solid quality controls. The Amazon Basics HDMI cables say they are HDMI 2.0 compliant, but as you get to the longer lengths, the poor quality begins to show.