What's new

Atmos Configuration - 9.2.2 or 7.2.4 (1 Viewer)

DeWayne

Auditioning
Real Name
DeWayne
Since a 13 channel receiver is out of my price can someone tell me if 2 channels on an 11 channel amp would be better in the ceiling or as wide front left and right (7.2.4 or 9.2.2)?

Is a 13 channel worth $2000ish more than an 11 channel receiver?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
DEFINITELY 7.1/2.4

The whole point to Atmos is to create a hemisphere around you. Front heights do not qualify here, but front and back ceiling surrounds do.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
On a full Atmos implementation, you're far better off to add an external amp rather than getting a receiver that has so many channels of built-in amplification. Get at least a three channel amp to drive the front speakers and let the receiver drive the rest. The front three speakers have the biggest load and taking them off the receiver will have the greatest benefit. You just have to be certain the receiver has the needed pre outputs.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I generally agree with 99% of @JohnRice advice, but not this one. To me it is worth the expense of having a Denon 6300 to not have the hassle of juggling two amps. Especially with how Audessey lets you set it and forget it after a quick setup.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, there are always multiple factors to take into consideration, and while Sam might be correct in everything he said, there other things worth considering. Like the fact that any single receiver, and power supply, will be severely hampered trying to drive 11-13 channels to any considerable volume, unless your speakers are extremely efficient. I've never used Audyssey, but I'd be curious how an external amp would cripple it. Plus, there really is no "juggling" with an external amp. You connect it, hook up the 12v switch cable, so it turns on and off automatically (any receiver of any decent quality has this capability), calibrate to get the levels right, and leave it.

I'm not saying everyone should do it. I'm just pointing out some things a lot of people don't consider.

Last edited:

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
once again John is closer to the truth on this one. I recently bumped into a white paper from Dolby and it stated that ALL speakers in Atmos are full bandwidth and full frequency. The best set up is all the same speakers for surround and ceiling. You can never have enough power because of the peaks being as much as 1100 watts for a few seconds. There is AV receivers coming out that can do a good job but seperates really take care of the demands.Audessey is terrible for set up. Manual is better and if you can afford an expensive Pre Amp Processor that has Trinnov or the ARC from Anthem do it your self.The all in one AV receivers don't have the power to drive average speakers. Like John said there is exceptions like Klipcsh excuse the spelling. Get power and flat speakers with wide dispersion and you will be happy.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I have the capability of 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 and also have wondered what the difference would be. I am in transition in my home so I might just try both set ups and post the difference I perceive for all. I think without science that 4 on the height channels would give a better envelope or bubble of surround balance. Just seams more balanced.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technol...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't tried Atmos yet, but I'm tempted to take steps toward it. My HT is in the basement, so there are plenty of options for running wiring and installing speakers in the space between the floor joists above. I just hesitate over the cost, especially since I watch a lot more dramas than the type of stuff that will benefit from Atmos.

So, I'm speculating, but I don't think you can give general answers to what speaker setup would be best for any generic room. If you don't have much space behind the viewing position, then I suspect 5.1.4 is the better way to go. If you do, then I suspect the rear surrounds are important and either 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 will be a bit of a sacrifice, and you really want to go 7.1.4. That's the case in mine. There is quite a bit of space behind the main viewing position, which is about 2/3 of the way to the back wall. If I ever do the massive remodel I dream of (and won't likely ever do) it will be more toward the middle of the room.

I've really been resisting the urge to upgrade my pre/pro for the opportunity to add Atmos. I just don't need to be spending money on that stuff.

DeWayne

Auditioning
Real Name
DeWayne
I'm looking at Marantz's 13 and 11 channel amps with separate amps and I think I'm settling on the 11 channel since the 13 channel is almost double for the 11 channels. With the 11 channel unit I was wondering if Atmos would sound better with 4 channels in the ceiling and 3 on the sides or 2 in the ceiling and 4 on the sides. How much separation is there in the ceiling speakers???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trishy!
Recent bookmarks