What's new

Blu-ray Review Atlas Shrugged: Part One Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
100,000 of these were issued with the wrong slip cover..

http://gawker.com/5858759/100000-atlas-shrugged-dvds-recalled-for-perfectly-hilarious-reason

So, if you have one, you may have a collectable.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by mattCR

100,000 of these were issued with the wrong slip cover..

http://gawker.com/5858759/100000-atlas-shrugged-dvds-recalled-for-perfectly-hilarious-reason

So, if you have one, you may have a collectable.

Somehow I'd guess that 100,000 is the entire first pressing of DVDs. I wonder how many Blu-ray's they did? The reason almost seems so silly it makes me wonder if there is a bit of PR stunt in it--not that it was done on purpose, but since its done they may as well capitalize on it. There are also multiple versions on the DVD put out by different organizations: [url=http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/merchandise]http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/merchandise

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Adam Gregorich said:
Somehow I'd guess that 100,000 is the entire first pressing of DVDs.  I wonder how many Blu-ray's they did?  The reason almost seems so silly it makes me wonder if there is a bit of PR stunt in it--not that it was done on purpose, but since its done they may as well capitalize on it.  There are also multiple versions on the DVD put out by different organizations: http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/merchandise
I wondered the same thing when I saw this story. I actually wondered if it WAS done on purpose. Doug

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RobertR

And how would such a claim be wrong?

Because good actors, editors, writers and directors aren't necessarily more expensive? How many talented filmmakers have made great flicks for less than the $6.5 million budget of "Shrugged"?

"Shrugged" didn't need big money to pay for more competent actors, editors, writers and director. There's tons of talent that works for cheap - not much of that talent showed up for this particular film...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson said:
Because good actors, editors, writers and directors aren't necessarily more expensive? 
So you're claiming that the whole concept of "A list talent" has no, and never did have, any meaning. There is no correlation between what pay people command and how talented they are. I disagree with that, and I think Rand would too.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

So you're claiming that the whole concept of "A list talent" has no, and never did have, any meaning. There is no correlation between what pay people command and how talented they are. I disagree with that, and I think Rand would too.

I don't claim there's no correlation, but I don't think there's much of one. Do you believe the highest paid actors are the best? So you think that 20 years ago, Schwarzenegger and Stallone were the best and brightest of the world's acting talent?

I think it's a huge mistake to assume that high-paid talent equals the best in the world of the movies. That's more accurate in sports, where production equals money, but in movies, the highest-paid people are simply the most popular, not necessarily the most talented.

Ironically, the aspects of "Shrugged" that normally depend the most on money - production values and effects - were actually its strengths. It's a good-looking movie - it's just mediocre to poor in other ways, and to make excuses for those flaws in terms of money is disingenuous at best. There's absolutely zero reason an inexpensive movie needs to be incompetently made...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson said:
I don't claim there's no correlation, but I don't think there's much of one.  Do you believe the highest paid actors are the best? So you think that 20 years ago, Schwarzenegger and Stallone were the best and brightest of the world's acting talent? I think it's a huge mistake to assume that high-paid talent equals the best in the world of the movies. That's more accurate in sports, where production equals money, but in movies, the highest-paid people are simply the most popular, not necessarily the most talented. Ironically, the aspects of "Shrugged" that normally depend the most on money - production values and effects - were actually its strengths. It's a good-looking movie - it's just mediocre to poor in other ways, and to make excuses for those flaws in terms of money is disingenuous at best.  There's absolutely zero reason an inexpensive movie needs to be incompetently made...
Schwarzenegger and Stallone are action stars, not dramatic actors, so it's rather misleading to lump them into a ranking of "best" (they were the best action stars) based on pay without differentiating type. And it's not just a matter of pay. The most talented people in Hollywood (regardless of how much they make) were not interested in making this film, not based on pay or revenue, but the message of the novel. As I said, the producers made do with what was available.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Schwarzenegger and Stallone are action stars, not dramatic actors, so it's rather misleading to lump them into a ranking of "best" (they were the best action stars) based on pay without differentiating type. And it's not just a matter of pay. The most talented people in Hollywood (regardless of how much they make) were not interested in making this film, not based on pay or revenue, but the message of the novel. As I said, the producers made do with what was available.

So let me see if I have the argument straight: the producers of "Shrugged" couldn't get good talent because they didn't have money.

But the producers couldn't get good talent even if they DID have money because the talented people didn't want to make it.

So which is it? Was the movie hampered because the producers couldn't pay for talent or because the talent wouldn't make the movie at any price? You don't seem to be sure which excuse for the movie you prefer to make...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
RobertR said:
The most talented people in Hollywood (regardless of how much they make) were not interested in making this film, not based on pay or revenue, but the message of the novel. As I said, the producers made do with what was available.
Yes, George Clooney is never going to do this movie but virtually any movie with a $20 million budget based off of a famous book can find a talented actor, director etc. who need a job and would happily take the gig. They might only be doing it for a paycheck and in the hopes that they can use it to get another movie but they could still find a talented folks to fill the positions and none of them are going to be backlisted by those who find the book objectionable beceause every one in Hollywood can understand the plight of needing a job (even if it's one they hate).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I will tell you, for all the back and forth, we're really denying the realities. I think for people who like and appreciate Rand's book, this is a DECENT offering. It's not as good as it should be, in large part because the acting is fairly stiff and it needs a lot of polish. But frankly, it's a good looking film, the production values are pretty good, the sets are nice, and some of the sequences are quite good. I had seen this in a theater and while I didn't want to grab it at $20, I found it locally for $8 via Craigslist, and that was fine.

Rand's vision was really that large corporations and government would get so intermixed (by any means, that part isn't really relevant) that innovation becomes the big scary factor for the government and businesses. Big businesses would wipe out smaller, innovative ones because they had governmental clout. Or innovators would have their work stolen and redone (fountainhead).

There are moments in Atlas Shrugged Pt. 1 I found very good; I think the problem is when they tried to shove moments of dialog into characters mouth that wasn't really meant to be dialog - it works more effectively as subtext. They didn't need the speech as they come up to 20th century motors; the setting alone reminds many of what happened to market innovators.. see: "Tucker: A Man And His Dream", etc. The audience generally "got it" without the exposition.

If you're a fan of Rand and want a sequel, of course buy it. Otherwise *shrug*

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson said:
So let me see if I have the argument straight: the producers of "Shrugged" couldn't get good talent because they didn't have money. But the producers couldn't get good talent even if they DID have money because the talented people didn't want to make it. So which is it?  Was the movie hampered because the producers couldn't pay for talent or because the talent wouldn't make the movie at any price?  You don't seem to be sure which excuse for the movie you prefer to make...
Why do you think the two are mutually exclusive? There was no big payday AND there was no non monetary motivation.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Colin Jacobson said:
I'm not saying some critics - heck, maybe even MOST critics - didn't care for the film's political message. I AM saying that it's incorrect to state that it received such bad reviews just because of its politics.  It's a badly-made movie, and an equally incompetent movie with a more politically appealing movie would've been panned as well...   Due to your awkward writing skills, I'm not sure what you're trying to say - do you claim my comments are a "political rant"?  Because I can recognize bad filmmaking? No, all films aren't black and white.  I don't know what movies you see, but many of them remain up for interpretation.  This one doesn't - it's one-sided filmmaking at its worst...
I would disagree because these critics have a track record. They generally do pan these types of movies. I think your reaction has some political overtones to it. Your comment about it being one sided filmmaking at its worst is ridiculous. A Michael Moore documentary is one-sided. Take stuff out of context to support a point. Apocolypse Now is one-sided filmmaking. Paint the military with broad strokes. I went into this never having read the book nor have I since. I found the chatracters engaging. By the way, you wouldn't know good writing skills if it hit you in the head.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
RobertR said:
Why do you think the two are mutually exclusive? There was no big payday AND there was no non monetary motivation.
Exactly. Great actors work for scale all the time if they are interested in the material. The Ides of March cost $8 million less than Atlas Shrugged and starred George Clooney, Ryan Gosling, Paul Giamatti, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Marisa Tomei, Jeffrey Wright, and Evan Rachel Wood.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
The film was basically political poison for anyone working in Hollywood for two reasons. First of course its political point of view is despised in Hollywood, and secondly they made the film out side of the system. Though Angelina Jolie expressed interest in doing the film, they couldn't hold her interest because they were unable to find an A list director who was both interested and willing to risk his career by making the film. So not being able to get a name like Jolie or attracting an A list director means the budget is MUCH smaller. Smaller budget means talent who is willing to work for scale. The fact of the matter is most in Hollywood didn't want to make this film because they either despised the subject matter, or were unwilling to risk being black listed if they worked on it. And yes there really is a black list for conservatives in Hollywood. Doug

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Hey, I'm just trying to keep track of the laundry list of excuses people make for this lousy movie...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Douglas Monce said:
And yes there really is a black list for conservatives in Hollywood.
That's not the topic though. Everyone knows the difference between a role in a movie and their real world beliefs. If I'm an unknown AND talented actor, doing Atlas Shrugged might be my one chance for me to show off my abilities. I'm sure I'd alienate people if I did interviews or told people that I wholeheartedly agree with the book's message but taking a role in a movie that has a message that people don't agree with isn't going to lose me jobs in the future.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson said:
Hey, I'm just trying to keep track of the laundry list of excuses
So you're just "tracking". That would explain why you're unable to refute the reasons given for the film's weaknesses.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
TravisR said:
That's not the topic though. Everyone knows the difference between a role in a movie and their real world beliefs. If I'm an unknown AND talented actor, doing Atlas Shrugged might be my one chance for me to show off my abilities. I'm sure I'd alienate people if I did interviews or told people that I wholeheartedly agree with the book's message but taking a role in a movie that has a message that people don't agree with isn't going to lose me jobs in the future.
But thats not the way its viewed in Hollywood. There is a reason why films with a conservative point of view don't get made in hollywood. There is a reason why Jim Caviezel, in spite of having been the star of a movie that made $600 million dollars, is doing TV movies. There is a reason that Tom Clancy's novels are altered before the reach the screen so as to remove even a slight right leaning point of view. But yes actors who aren't getting hired for anything else, would and did take parts in this movie because they felt they might get seen. The problem is very few people in Hollywood who hire actors will see this film. As a conservative who worked in that system, I can tell you that it was made very clear to me that I should keep my mouth shut about it, because not only will you not get hired again, but you will quickly have no friends because no one wants to be guilty by association. Doug

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

So you're just "tracking". That would explain why you're unable to refute the reasons given for the film's weaknesses.

Seems to me I HAVE "refuted" the film's weaknesses. It stinks because of a low budget? Money doesn't equal quality. It stinks because talented people avoided it due to politics? There are enough actors/directors/writers/etc. desperate for a shot in movies that they'd take ANY project to get their careers off the ground, and many of them must have talent.

And the irony of "Shrugged" is that the elements most correlated with money - production values, effects - are actually pretty good! Funny how the producers were able to hire talented people in those domains but couldn't find a decent editor!

Why are there so many excuses for the poor quality of this film? I don't see threads that defend other crummy movies - what makes this one so special? Do you guys run around defending every bad movie from criticism?

"Shrugged" isn't bad because it didn't have enough money. It's not bad because of political backlash. It's bad because many of the people involved lacked skill and talent - that's it. All the excuses in the world won't change that...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks