Atlantis 2 Disk or Single?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Are there any difference movie wise between the single edition and the double disk? Are the extras worth the difference between the $29.99 and $16.99 Best Buy is asking , heck they are offering a $5.00 on either I believe. If the single Disk has the DTS and same features I'm not sure I want to pay an extra 14 bucks for extras I'll watch Once. Opinions?

2. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Well I've always been a fan of the Disney Collector's Editions and this 2-disc set will be the latest to add to my collection, which is all of them. They are pricey, but I've never been disappointed. [​IMG]

3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I Just checked the extras on the disk at DVD Files, they seem good but nothing I'd watch more than once, so I might go only single disk on this one.

4. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

I'm going with the single.

I was wondering the same thing when The Emperor's New Groove was released. I bought the Collector's edition then, and it wasn't worth the extra money in my estimation. I've learned my lesson.

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I'm trying to decide also.

I do have the 2-disc versions of Tarzan, Dinosaur, and A Bug's Life, as well as the Fantasia Anthology and Ultimate Toy Box. But I opted for the single disc version of Emperor's New Groove and don't regret it.

I usually don't watch all the extra stuff, much of which can be a bit dry... art direction and other minutia, etc. And what I do watch is only once anyway.

Still, for Atlantis, I don't like the idea of having the P&S version on the single-disc release, I assume on the same side of the disc as the widescreen. I wonder about the bit allocation. I know the difference may be zero or miniscule, but is there any reason to believe that image quality may suffer a little on the single-disc version? I also like the cover of the CE better too, not that it is a deciding factor.

6. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

The quality of the second disc and supplements seems to fluctuate depending on the film. Most new Disney films' supplements are all EPK crap and not really worth it. The supplements for the classic films and the Pixar films tend to be top notch. I wouldn't expect too much from ATLANTIS.

7. Juan C Toro

Juan C Toro Stunt Coordinator

Hello guys:
    Disney Special Editions were becoming too repetitive, not adding anything new. I alos was really disappointed at the special edition of The Emperor's new Groove. which I thought was lousy. But the Atlantis; The Lost Empire - Special Edition is the best I have seen. Better even than Snow White, or even Tarzan. It has to do with the different approaches to view the additional material. This time, you can se the whole segments as a single 2 hour documentary called The Making of Atlantis, and is the best and most complete Disney to date. Take a look at my review at:
    http://www.toldyouso.net/
    JC

8. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I've spent some time over the weekend plowing through the 2-disc CE and I have to say that so far I'm enjoying the extras on Atlantis more than I did those on Emperor's New Groove, Dinosaur, or Tarzan. I really enjoyed the visual style of the film and a good portion of the running time in the extras department is devoted to the design aspects. I also liked the visual commentary available on disc one. Since I've bought every 2-disc Disney CE so far I couldn't very well skip this one and I wound up liking the movie more than I expected.

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Do we know that on the CE the Widescreen version and the P&S are on different disks? I agree this would make a difference

10. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Dave, from what I read on the reviews there is no P&S version at all in the CE. Only in the single-disc version, and on the same disc/side as the widescreen. Instead the CE has the commentaries.

Not having the P&S at all suits me fine. A waste of space and bits. It's a bit of a premium for the CE (I'd be happier if the difference was more like $5 instead of $14 at BestBuy) but the positive comments on the CE here are swaying me in that direction.

11. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    well that makes a huge difference in Picture quality if the P&S is left off the 1st disk, I think I'll definately go CE

12. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

HOLD THE FORT!
    The two-disc set is the only one that has a DTS soundtrack (DTS-ES also). If anyone is interested.
    Troy

13. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    There is a fully realised 5.1 different opening for the film on the 2nd DVD. The extras were pretty cool..I watched more of the extras on this title than I have on most others. I say...go for the gusto!

14. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

Damn you HTF'ers! [​IMG] You've convinced me, yet again, to spend more money and splurge on the CE.
    Emperor's New Groove was my first Disney CE, and I wasn't too impressed, especially considering the extra cost involved (not that I'm cheap, I just could have spent the cash on another DVD [​IMG] )
    I won't let one bad apple spoil the bunch. It looks like there are too many pros to this CE.

15. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The DTS track is not DTS-ES, although the Dolby Digital track is DD-EX, and to my ears superior to the DTS track.