What's new

Atlantic Technology Preamp? P2000 looks just like Outlaw? (1 Viewer)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I know it's all speculation, but considering the deals on the net. I wouldn't be surprised to see the AT going for $1300.00. I'm stll guessing after the promotional period the 950 will be $1099.00 - $1200.00. If that works out the AT is only $200.00 more. I'd go AT for only $200.00 more.

Since I'm not buying a pre/pro until at least summertime. I can wait and let Outlaw, AT and all the other show what they have.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
In the SMR report from CES, they are saying the Outlaw will be $899 and the AT $1699. They are supposedly the same unit. What kind of marketing strategy is this? Do they think you'll be willing pay the difference just to get rid of the stupid green button?

Deane

Chip E

Screenwriter
"LOL.

Esp. if the rack was bought with the $500+ you saved over the p2000!

That sorta puts an end to that argument."

Only if you have major budget constraints i'd say... Agreed? The ATI is sweet looking.

TomH

Second Unit
One of my reservations about the 950 has been its appearance. I have felt that a pre/pro that will be installed in reasonably high end systems should look and feel a bit better than their budget receiver. AT certainly solves this. Just my opinion..I am glad those who like the Outlaw look can save some money.

Outlaw 950 (no discount) $899.00

AT (typical AT web discount 30%) $1189.00

A bit of a premium but not too bad.

Tom

J

John Morris

My 950 is just gonna look absolutely beautiful in my rack... especially with the 20 additional DVDs, that I can buy using the money I will save versus the ATL(NOT ATI), piled right in front of it. :D

Nigel Pond

Auditioning
Guys
Just a point of information on whpo manufactures what - if you check my Outlaw report over at SMR (http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2.../page_01.shtml) you will see that Outlaw does not manufacture anything, they have all their products OEM'd by EastTech in Asia. EastTech must also be OEMing for Atlantic, which is no surprise as Peter Tribeman, one of the founder Outlaws, is also connected with Atlantic.

W

Will

Hi Nigel,
Your report was mentioned already, in Post (38) earlier in this thread. When you talked to the Outlaws, did they happen to mention where in Asia EastTech is located? Or whether Outlaw and Atlantic Technology were jointly funding development of the twin pre/pro's or how the arrangement works between Outlaw and Atlantic Technology. Also, we were wondering if there's any difference other than cosmetic, between the twins. And, would they ship concurrently, or would Atlantic Technology wait and let Outlaw ship first? The Outlaws so far have said nothing publicly, on their emailed newsletters to date, about the Atlantic Technology pre/pro twin, so we are left wondering what the story is.

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Hmmm,
there was news that there would be 2 processors released from Outlaw. Maybe the AT is the higher end processor that we have been speculating over. The AT must have something extra besides just looks to charge almost 2x the premium of the 950. But wait, even at the full retail of $1699, i know of no processors in the under 2k price range. If this processor sounds good then obviously, it's a bargain.
I'm gonna stick with Outlaw as well, sometimes plain is good! ;)

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Will,
To find out more about East Tech go to Link Removed
Then choose English and click on digital amplifier, you'll see something very interesting there.
Razvan

Nigel Pond

Auditioning
Guys

Eastech is registered in Singapore, but the contact address is Taiwan. Someone also said that Outlaw is the OEM -- not so, Eastech is the "original equiment manufacturer" as that term is usually used.

No mention was made of Atlantic playing any part, financial or otherwise, in the design/construction etc. In fact Peter T said that Eastech manufactures to a design by Outlaw.

As far as we can tell both units are identical except for the external cosmetics.

The press release says: "General distribution of the Model 950 will begin this month throught the Outlaw web site at an introductory price of $899." As far as we know it was a final unit at the press conference.

W

Will

We've heard from Outlaw in the smr article. But we haven't yet heard what Atlantic Technology's version will be. Will Atlantic Technology say they bought the pre/pro from the Outlaws who we know now, had it OEM'd in Taiwan?

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
The AT preamp is a 950 clone just as the Eastech RC 999A receiver is a 1050 clone ( or is it the other way around?). The 950 is not the first rebadged Outlaw product. It is very possible that the new Eastech preamp, the PP-2001, is also a 950 clone.

Razvan

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I'm just lagging behind but I have a question. How much money does Outlaw have? Do they have enough resources and capital to start a mass production plant to make all their products? Do they have a large R&D team to pick out the bugs? Think about it, if they rebadge the EastTech and sell it, they don't have to have a manufacturing facility.

HOWEVER, that means all the waits that Outlaw keeps throwing out, are not because of them, but because EastTech is delaying the production. What doesn't mesh is any interactivity HTF and the Outlaw forum has had on the product.

Does anyone think that the 950 and the p2000 could possibly have any difference at all? Maybe AT could beef up the specs, I suppose they would have the facilities, but not Outlaw. I just don't see that.

Of course, I could be totally wrong.

Jon

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
The Atlantic Technology does *not* cost twice as much as the Outlaw 950. When you compare the new (post introductory) price of the 950 (@ no discount) to a discounted Atalantic Technology version, it will be a wash.

Rich B.

Nigel Pond

Auditioning
Let me try to clear this up -- Outlaw does not do any manufacturing. They design and Eastech builds -- simple as that. As far as we could tell at CES the AT and Outlaw processors are identical apart from the external cosmetics. Also, at the Outlaw press conference Peter Tribeman did say that the deal with Eastech was that ET could manufacture the Outlaw designs for others -- I guess that makes the price cheaper for Outlaw.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Let me try to clear this up -- Outlaw does not do any manufacturing. They design and Eastech builds -- simple as that. ...
My understanding is the same as Nigel's ... The Outlaw's design the product and the company in SE Asia (now apparently known to be Eastech) manufacturers the units for them.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Peter Tribeman did say that the deal with Eastech was that ET could manufacture the Outlaw designs for others -- I guess that makes the price cheaper for Outlaw.
Yup, this and other points are making this shape my guess at what's going on as follows:

- Outlaw approaches Eastech to manufacture a pre/pro for them based on Outlaw's specs.

- Potentially some aspects of the design are proprietary, and potentially some aspects of exclusivity are included in the deal (such as first to market; see below).

- Eastech provides a cost to Outlaw based on manufacturing costs, proprietary elements, level of exclusivity, etc. This was likely an iterative process.

- As for other suppliers (e.g., DSP chip), it's unclear how much of a role Outlaw has with them versus Eastech's role.

This type of manufacturing outsourcing is not at all unusual, although it remains to be seen if the 950 fits this scenario. As for my guesses, there may be aspects of the processing that may be exclusive to Outlaw, and/or there may be a time frame for which Eastech cannot offer the product to other companies. Each of these will cost $ for Outlaw. My guess is that little if any of the design and features are exclusive to Outlaw; they may have just negotiated a first to market deal. As demonstrated by the existence of AT in the mix, it appears that Outlaw is not the exclusive customer of Eastech. Seems to make sense, as Eastech can likely make more money with more customers. Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if Outlaw couldn't afford a completely exclusive/proprietary pre/pro, given this scenario.

Tribeman's connections with both Outlaw and AT (first I've known about this was this thread) appears to make it logical that AT would know (in advance of other companies) of Eastech's manufacturing of the Outlaw pre/pro. With this scenario, Outlaw has no relationship with AT vis a vis the pre/pro, such as a licensing arrangement.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. I believe there is room for multiple HT companies to market this design at different price points, especially when comparing an Internet/direct-sales company with one who distributes via B&M storefronts. There are many enthusiasts who will not deal with an Internet-only company.

Doug

W

Will

Doug,

Your suggestion that Outlaw and Atlantic Technology may be competitors selling the same product, rather than business partners, may help explain why the Outlaws never mentioned Atlantic Technology in their many open, honest, and frank newsletter emailings.

Rob Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
I might just as well speculate since everyone else is.

I think they are "Sister Companies" that will sell the same product through different distribution channels for the mutual benifit of both.

I suspect that AT hasn't mentioned Outlaw and visa versa because they are trying to sell to different customers.

Users who are viewing this thread