What's new

Atlantic Technology Preamp? P2000 looks just like Outlaw? (1 Viewer)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i think the main dislike is the lime green button and the little cowboy guy. they strike me as kinda hokey. however, i must say that it's one logo you won't mistake for anything else. they truly set themselves apart with the logo/button aesthetics.

kevin t

Sankar

Second Unit
By the way, a couple of "things" that I find missing on the Outlaw 950/AT P2000:
a) a switched 120V outlet. These can be useful. In fact, I use both on my 3801 to turn on/off my dvd player and AudioControl Rialto.
b) 7.1 channel input .. wonder why they missed out on this and stayed with only 5.1 inputs. Having a 7.1 input could allow for different external processing. The 3801 has them (though I do not use them .. yet)
having said this, I will probably be one of the early adopters (having "promised" my 3801 to someone else) :) !

Jaehoon Heo

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I know, Outlaw uses Zoran DSP for audio decoding, but this machine has indication of using Cirrus chip set for audio decoding. I guess 2 machines are totally different from each other.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
The 950 uses Cirrus as well. Zoran have been dead for a long long time.

The inclusion of a 7.1 input swings it in Outlaw's favour. Btw. the green or blue 'on' switch is just like the NAD. It's not a big deal.

T.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
If I'm not mistaken, Outlaw has always had the CIRRUS chip as its decoder.

Edit: I see Tony jumped in there with the answer just as I posted!

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
The 1050 is and always has been Zoran based, last time I checked the actual Zoran part number is right there on the 1050's product description page on the outlaw site. I've never heard of the 950 being anything other than cirrus-based, even before the cirr-iusness of it was formally announced in the Fall.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
If the two units are virtually identical, I find it hysterical that there are people out there who would pay $200-500 more for the Atlantic unit given there is no green button or funny Cowboy. I'm sorry, but if the unit basically looks the same and if it performs the same, there is a lot I can do with the extra $200-500 bills. Like buy about 15 DVD's to test out my new Outlaw. The lengths people will go for aesthetic reasons is simply amazing to me. Now if there was an added performance benefit, I could see it, but really.

Andrew Beck

Stunt Coordinator
[font=http://beck.servebeer.com/ht.html]I like the green button, it also reminds me of NAD, and I like the logo. I think the design is actually quite nice... much nicer than most other recievers anyway. they're mostly way too busy.[/font]

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Funny....... some people WON'T buy a Kenwood receiver, simply due to the different look they have. I'd still pay as much as $200 more for the AT version. Canadian dollars, that is! :)

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Is the case really plastic? I don't mind the Logo or green button, but I'm not so sure about a plastic case.

Russ

Kevin T

Screenwriter
plastic?! i should certainly hope not. the unit looks like black aluminum or whatever they use on receivers. if the pre/pro is plastic, then it will look like a toy.

kevin t

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
This is long winded, but this Outlaw / AT situation is quite interesting.
I don't want to offend anyone, but anyone thinking they just have a similarity is being quite dumb. They are the same. I looked at those very high quality pictures and I can not find one difference on the PCB boards. I counted resistors and capicitors just to verify. The PCB in it have the same numbers, they have the same stickers, its the same thing. The ONLY thing I can't verify is the label on top of one of the chips, likely the DSP chip. The 950 logo has it at an angle where the writing is glared and isn't readable.
This similarity is not a good thing for Outlaw. First off, people have openly said they would purchase the AT, if it were only slightly more expensive. Honestly, I don't like the Outlaw look either. If we enjoy Outlaw audio, and we f*ck them like that, and that is what we would be doing, f*cking them, it shows we aren't really behind the idea of a small internet based hifi product. I've watched countless threads about the 950, and how great it will be, and to see most abandon that idea because the AT is prettier, is sort of upsetting. :angry: Its like demoing stuff in a store, then buying it online for cheaper. Yeah, you got a good deal, but you wasted someone's time and used a store with no intention to buy. I love to listen to speakers I can not afford, but I always feel a little guilty, even though I tell the sales person right off I'm not buying.
HOWEVER, if this product has been being developed by AT all along then Outlaw has been lying and it doesn't matter. I really don't think that is the case. I think the likely answer is, the AT is for B&M stores made by Outlaw. In which case buying the AT is good for Outlaw. But at this point we do not know that, and people are jumping off their long ride on the 950 wagon and talking about the p2000.
I think the Outlaws need to post something clearing this up. As I see it, they could be losing business and are definitely raising questions. Of course, if this AT comes out at like $2,000 it won't be a big deal. People will just get a new faceplate ordered from AT. They'll still have the green button though! :laugh:
Lets put that in the pot!
Jon

GregoriusM

Second Unit
If you've been reading the information on the Outlaw site, and know a bit of the background of the Outlaws, I think it is pretty obvious that this is an Outlaw R&D'd component, and is being sold on the internet under the Outlaw name for reasons of price, and under the AT brand in B&M's for reasons like you want to demo before purchasing, etc. Obviously it would cost more for the AT since the B&M must pay for its building and staff.

I don't know anything about AT, but if they are an existing company, it simply means to me that Outlaw is the OEM for AT for this component.

... Greg

W

Will

I guess eventually we'll know who makes the pre/pro and who is just marketing it, under their own brand name. For people who have been saying Outlaw has been open and honest, well you have to know, they must have known about the Atlantic Technology twin for quite awhile, and for some reason they decided not to say a peep about any of this, on their emailed newsletters. For reference, here are the Outlaw and Atlantic Technology pictures, to compare.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
Will - good work on the 950 photos. Same clarity as the P2000 shots.

You can now all use your magnifying glasses and pore over the shots.

The 950 doesn't look that bad to be honest - if it has identical contruction (ie. alloy front) well I guess most people will suffer the green button and cowboy.

T.

W

Will

According to smr-home-theatre these pre/pro's are OEM'd by an Asian company called East Tech and Cirrus Logic. Cirrus Logic is the one that made the Triple Crossover circuit that allows separate adjustment of the high-pass filter for the left and right, center and surround channels, and whose CS4396 does the 192/24 D/A conversion and whose CS5360 converter does the 96/24 A/D conversion, and whose CS4932-63CL decodes Dolby Pro Logic II, and Dolby Digital and DTS including Surround EX®, DTS ES®, and DTS Neo:6® and Cirrus Logic's own Extra Surround®.
I imagine these Cirrus Logic parts are probably available to other manufacturers. The 950 is the first to incorporate the Cirrus Logic Triple Crossover circuit, according to the article.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
From SMR: "East Tech is an Asian OEM which manufactures the 950 to Outlaw's design and specification."

In my mind, Outlaw is the OEM, since they created the specs. East Tech is simply the manufacturer.

It's all semantics.

It clearly states that Outlaw is the driving force behind the research and design of the 950 and obviously the AT is the same component.

So, AT must be licensing the entire design from Outlaw.

W

Will

The SMR article interviewed the Outlaws and not Atlantic Technology so we've only heard one side, so far. I'm sure eventually, we'll find out what the relationship is between Atlantic Technology and the Outlaws, and why they both have, in essence, the same pre/pro for sale.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
"Peter Tribeman of Atlantic Technology"
There's enough there, and from earlier comments at other shows over the past year or so, to understand what "the deal is". Outlaw Audio designed the 950 and is having them made at the overseas manufacturer. Atlantic Technologies, whether directly thru Mr Tribeman or one of his subordinates (according to A.T.'s web site, Mr Tribeman is the President) I couldn't begin to guess, decided they wanted to branch out from "just" speakers and the already existing relationship with Outlaw Audio made it a "no brainer" to license the 950 from Outlaw.
Just my two cents. {shrug}

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks