Atlantic Technology: anyone care anymore?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Weinstock, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

Atlantic Technology just about never gets mentioned around here. The new T90's look somewhat interesting.

Anyway, I'm just curious why they seem to have no mindshare in this forum at all....

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Probably because they aren't always releasing something new. They start with solid designs that stay in their pipeline for a fairly long time with only modest upgrades. They also don't seem to be mass marketed to the degree of some other manufacturers.

3. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

I keep an eye on them and their great products. I'm excited to see what they come up with for a THX Ultra2 product as they produced the best THX Ultra products.

Paul

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I usually don't talk about them because they are rarely brought up but I think they are a killer brand esp for movies (I prefer them over brands such as Energy, Klipsch, B&W, and Deftech at their price point) except for their subs (I get something else since for the most part at their price point they can get out done pretty easy).

5. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

My thoughts exactly. Just pick up a SVS instead!

PaulW

6. Justin Gates

Justin Gates Agent

I own a set of the AT system 270. Great set of speakers.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I think the big problem with Atlantic is that they seem to be internet-only. You cannot walk into a store and hear them/demo them - hence the lack of popularity.

Since picking speakers is a matter of taste, buying speakers you have never heard is like buying a 5 year supply of coffee/wine/beer/ice cream without ever tasting them first.

The reviews have always been very positive about Atlantic, as well as the feedback here and at other fourms. But you are buying without sampling first.

8. Justin Gates

Justin Gates Agent

Is Atlantic Tech really mostly internet-only sales?? I didnt realize that. I bought mine from a local dealer that carried the line. I just thought that Atlantic Tech werent carried in retail chains and only in specialty audio/video shops.

9. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ahhhh... when I was doing my speaker-hunt about 3 years ago I looked into the Atlantic systems. But calling the company about finding a dealer to demo resulted in a sales pitch about the return policy and a recomendation to call One Call for packages. I guess they have signed up some dealers. Thanks for the update.

I do remember one of the magazines doing low/medium/high end reviews and the Atlantic THX speakers were used in the high-end demo room as the "reference" others were compared to.

11. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    Whenever these threads pop up, I like to add my $.02 worth. Since early '99 (when a thread on HTF lead me to a great buy on the 350THX system), I've had my 350 system with nary a thought of upgrade. Of course, I'm not the upgrading sort of guy, but those speakers do very well with movies. I've got the two AT subwoofer combo, so I can't say how much better other subs would sound. I do know that many posters prefer other subs in place of the AT models.

12. Dennis Oblow

Dennis Oblow Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    I have the 450 system which are THX Ultra certified. After four years of use these are the only components I don't have an urge to update, and if you know me, thats saying something![​IMG]

13. Joe Lauderdale

I must also comment that AT makes wonderful speakers for Home Theater.

I personally own the 250.1 system. I enjoyed it for 3 years and recently upgraded to Diva 6.1 package for the fact that I wanted to go tower speakers. The only complaint that I would have are the cabinets (I'm not much of a Black-Box looking speaker fan)...and as everyone else stated, the subwoofer is the weakest link if compared to other subs out there for the same price. I didn't think the speakers were too wonderful for music though, but that could have been due to my lame Yammy receiver.

I enjoyed AT so much that I recommended my brother to them. He purchased the 350THX system and still after 4 years has no itch to upgrade! He didn't get the AT sub, he went with a Velodyn instead.... I've heard the system a couple times and i must admit, it ROCKS!

One thing about speakers, the technology doesn't fade as quickly as processors do! That's why I recommend to people to invest a good amount of their system $$$ in speakers since they'll be with you a lot longer.

Cheers!

14. Gerhard

Gerhard Stunt Coordinator

I got the 450e System plus an extra pair of back surrounds
    and I´m very saticfied with them.The doing fine on my new
    Pioneer VSA-AX10(VSX-49TX) [​IMG]

15. CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe Stunt Coordinator

I have a set of 170s that I had to purchase from an authorized B&M dealer by telephone - it's impossible to get Atlantic Technology speakers in Houston. I like these 170 speakers, but when I upgrade the new system to something beyond 5.1, I'll have to switch to another brand. Atlantic Techology's protection of it's local dealers in Austin, a 3 hour drive from Houston, doesn't leave me with any other options. Too bad Atlantic Technology is NOT an online brand.