Atlantic Technology 172PBM Sub and Aperion, Axiom or Rocket Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Eddie Khanbeigi, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Eddie Khanbeigi

Eddie Khanbeigi Auditioning

Hi there -- first time poster (I feel like a radio caller!)

I currently have an Atlantic Technology System 170 Setup that has been good to me for the last year, but I want to upgrade to some larger front, center and surround speakers.

I've been looking around and have narrowed my choices down to the following:

Aperion Audio Intimus 522
    Axiom M2i
    Rocket ELT Special Edition

(all with, of course, the matching center channels)

However, I've been thinking about keeping the Atlantic Technology subwoofer (172PBM, 12" Driver) and intigrating it with one of the above systems.

Does anyone have any pros/cons with the type of mixing and matching that I'm looking to do and/or any opinions of my sub?

I'm new to this game (had Bose AM15 before upgrading to Atlantic Technology), so any information would be greatly appreciated.

I plan on running everything through my Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver... I only mention this because I've read about some of the above speakers being "bright" and to stay away from matching them with similarly "bright" receivers... hopefully the Yamaha doesn't fall within this category.

Thanks in advance,

-Eddie

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There is no such thing as a "matching" sub technically, so if you are looking to save a little cash now, you should have no problem keeping that sub and using it with any other speakers.

Yamaha is generally regarded as a bright receiver. The Rockets should pair up well with it though.

The M2i is a bit too small, IMO, for use with something like the 1400, I'd consider at least the M3Ti.

3. Eddie Khanbeigi

Eddie Khanbeigi Auditioning

Thanks for the reply... also complicating matters is that I would like to use this setup for both HT and Music (5 channel or 2 channel mode)... the Atlantics that I have a great for HT but lacking in the Music dept... would any of the above offer a decent blend of the two worlds?

Obviously cost is a factor, so I understand if none of the three choices would be the ultimate for what I am looking for...

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I haven't heard the Aperion's, but the Rockets are well regarded for dual duty, definitely better than any HTiB will ever be. There is also the HSU VT-12 Ventriloquist setup that you might want to look at, and at the price of the Rockets, you can also get a similar CBM-170 setup from www.ascendacoustics.com - go to the package selector. Highly regarded for music, and you can order them without the sub too.