Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CoryT, Sep 17, 2001.
This is the speaker system I'm looking at getting for my home theater. Any opinions on them??
I have the T70 system and enjoy it very much. It is a great system for a small room and definitely the best I found in the price range when I bought it. Here are my opinions of the plus and minuses of it.
1. Fantastic theater sound.
2. Great imaging.
3. Excellent WAF.
4. Center speaker on tilt base is great feature.
5. Tri-vector surrounds work surpisingly well.
6. Has a wow factor in that you can't believe so much sound can come out of such a small package. U-571 in DTS is quite impressive on these.
7. Good for small rooms.
1. Would not be good for big rooms.
2. Musicality is a little weak but not bad by any means, subwoofer placement definitely more critical for music.
Sub roll off below 25hz very steep. Haven't had any problems with movies but low note pipe organs (toccata and fugue), 1812 overture, and intro to 2001(also sprach zarathustra) it doesn't reproduce well.
3. Wish the 'auto on' timer of sub had a setting to make it longer. Sometimes the sub turns off during movies with no LFE effects for a while. Doesn't bother me too much since most of these movies aren't action types and usually happens during "chick flicks".
4. Not very efficient speakers so a very cheap receiver probably wouldn't do them justice. I have them paired with and an Outlaw 1050 and it sounds great.
My advice is to try to audition whatever models you are interested in. If you are buying on the internet, I would also check out home theater direct speakers. I haven't heard them but they seem quite favored for there price as well.
Thanks for the information, I was also considering the system 170. My theater space is 13.8"x28" is that too big? I also have one open wall. I was planning on using my sony reciver, it isn't too bad but it is a couple of years old. If I upgrade my reciver I will go with the Onkyo TX-DS787.
I've listened to both the T70 and 170 fairly extensively and feel that the System 170 offers a better price/performance proposition.
Certainly in your size room, the 170 would be a better fit.
Next Big Thing Electronics
I have had a T-70 system for almost a year now. I use them with a Pioneer VSX-35TX. I love them and I am so glad I chose them over the other systems I was considering. I use them in a fairly large, open space, but I have them arranged for a smaller optimized listening area. It works quite well. Maybe someday I will spring for the 370s, but I am content for now