Atlanta?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_J, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

Hey y'all,

I'll be taking a trip down to Athens and Atlanta for business on Thursday and will end up spending the weekend in the city solo (on my birthday, no less).

I've never been down to Atlanta and will have all day Saturday into Sunday afternoon to check out the scene.

I'd like to take a non-driving tour of the city and main attractions, get a good dinner (nothing too pricey, but I will treat myself for my b-day), and close the evening with some drinks in a quiet (but still active) bar/lounge - maybe a jazz/blues club or something else with tons of atmosphere?

Any recommendations on places to see, things to do, etc. for a 26 year old guy hanging out by himself? I'll be booking a hotel in either downtown or Buckhead and will have a rental car should something of interest be out of walking distance.

Thanks

2. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

*CNN Center
    *World of Coca-Cola
    *Buckhead clubs and nightlife
    *Atlanta Fish Market for a nice, but not too pricy meal (just ask where the "big fish" in Buckhead is - you'll see what I mean when you get there).[​IMG]

3. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Buckhead has a lot of clubs packed in a small area, so you can easily walk around. After 10pm on weekends it gets really crowded. It seems like there wasn't a lot of live music back when I lived in the area, but that's been 6 years or so. Most of the clubs are on W. Paces Ferry, Buckhead Ave. & Pharr Road close to where they intersect with Peachtree Rd. You can literally walk past a couple of dozen clubs in 5 minutes. Age range on Fri & Sat nights runs heavily to the 20-30 year olds. All looking to meet someone for intellectual discourse (or maybe just to hook up). The Atlanta Fish Market restaurant mentioned earlier is very close by on Pharr Rd, it's a nice place.

Virginia Highlands also has a good many clubs & restaurants packed in pretty closely. Most of clubs are around N. Highland Ave near Ponce De Leon Ave. Probably best to take a cab from Buckhead. Again, a fairly young crowd, twentysomethings & thirtysomethings.

And you could always hit Tattletales, which is a couple of miles down Piedmont Ave from the club area in Buckhead, if you tell the girls it's your birthday they might throw in a free table dance.

4. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

My pal Patrick Ewing recomends the Gold Club

5. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

For a real thrilling time, you could try taking the rental car out on I-285, and then try to find your way back to your hotel. I can guarantee that you won't have any time left on your hands. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Seriously, the last time I drove through Atlanta, I promised myself it would be the last. It almost was, several times. I never knew people could drive 120mph on congested freeways and still live.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

*Chuckle*

If you don't go 80mph on I-285, you get passed all day long.

7. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

I really miss Atlanta traffic and speeds. I lived there for 10 years, and now I think 85-90mph is normal! Then I moved to the Seattle area 2 years ago, and got 1 ticket and 5 warnings in my first 6 months! I never knew people could drive so slow and look so content doing it.

8. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Sorry, the Gold Club is closed. The owner was convicted on racketeering charges.

9. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit