Atlanta to see HDTV from Comcast Cable very soon....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Alexander, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

A service technician has comfirmed the rumor that they have already started installing the silver HD set top boxes in the homes of HD-capable Comcast employees with a broader rollout to take place later this month, or in February of this year. Can someone in other areas that have HD Cable tell us what to expect?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This is very good news, and probably the only thing that would get me to switch from the old analog cable service to the digital cable/HD boxes. I've resisted switching to digial cable just because I'm still stuck on VCRs, but am comtemplating a PVR, so I'm running out of reasons to still live with analog cable. The only other thing that I've heard is that the rollout is going slower than expected, and that March is probably a more realistic timeline for heavy deployment of the new HD cable boxes.
    Have you been keeping up with the Atlanta HD Yahoo group?
    I've heard that Comcast is using the same Motorola DCT5100 that is being used in Chicago and one other place that I can't remember.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    They've just startd offering HD here too. Only two of the locals are on the air so far and only for the evening primetime, mostly. I'm not too excited about it. I could put up an antenae and do just as well. The rest of their offerings are stille digital low-rez. I don't know anybody who's getting it but somebody must. There was an article in the paper and their ads lately. Best wishes!

4. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Its too bad I'm in a black hole of sorts in Atlanta. When I bought my first home two years ago the cable company then was Benchmark Communications, otherwise known as Redneck Cable. Six months into ownership of my first house it plot-rights get bought by Adelphia Cable.

Well, as some of you might know, Adelphia is practically worthless now. They FINISHED dropping fiber optic cable in this area lasy May and since their business dealings went public with the now infamous arrests their broadband initiatives locally are cancelled.

Do they plan on offering HD over cable/fiber? Heck, they can't even answer the phone in more than 8 attempts in the past 6 months to sign someone up let alone consider spending money before 2010!

Its amazing how the FCC does not see cable operators as telecommunication companies when so much of their infrastructure is not too unlike most telecom infrastructures. So much for competition.

5. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Are you HD capable yet Patrick?

I just moved into a new house in Lawrenceville and can no longer get Dish Network (who I was with) or DTV, so I was forced to go back to cable. I must say though that this is good news, and it eases the pain a bit.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I've got a HDTV set, and a OTA HDTV receiver, so I am HD-ready and receiving (OTA) but can't quite get CBS-HD at all out of the other channels broadcasting in HD. NBC is hit or miss (right now it's missing as I've been messing around in the attic trying to get more height for reception strength). NBC is probably due to it broadcasting on channel 10 (VHF) and my VHF antenna is sort of lacking.

7. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

You need a signal amplifier.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Any suggestions in terms of signal amp to buy/try? I have a dinky 10dB amp/splitter that I'm trying, but I think I need some more juice.

I tried sticking one antenna in the attic, but it didn't seem to help, and I got tired of going up and down and checking to see if the reception got better or worse.

I notice that my problem channels are 10(NBC)/19(CBS)/20(TBS), so it's on the low end of the UHF range.

9. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

I would ask Dman in AVS. He use to sell DBS systems, but now he's a pure HT guru. Don't forger to ask to go see his DIY theater, too. And don't tell him I sent you. [​IMG]

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Brae,
    This is good news, however satellite via DirectTV is by far the best I have had in twelve years of living in Atlanta.
    You also get far better customer service.
    By the way, I have a friend who is pulling in HD TV from the airwaves in Marietta...he has a huge antenna in his attic. [​IMG]

11. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

There will be a number of HDTV channels starting soon - the ESPN and Cinemax services, HDnet movies and so on - I wonder whether DirecTV has the capacity to carry them all. I might have to get cable again.

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I got a mailer frm Comcast 2-day. They will demonstrating their HDTV signal at Now A/V this weekend. They are promising to deliver HBO and Showtime in HD too. I'm starting to get mildly intrested. Comcast's problem here is too high priced. They're going up another $3 for basic service as of febuary. DirecTV is somewhat cheaper. The other problem is that the higher numbered analog channels are too squeezed for bandwidth and look like merde. Basic cable channels look way better on DirecTV....

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I finally tuned in CBS! This means I'll get to watch the NFL playoff games in HD, Baybee!

For some reason, it took turning off the power portion of the $30 Radio Shack antenna I had been using to tune in CBS, and playing around with the antenna. I got to see CSI: Miami in HD, hooboy, Emily Proctor has not look so good on my TV until tonight.

The only other problematic channel is NBC which requires me to change the orientation of the antenna (for now, there aren't too many shows in HD that I watch on NBC). I can get everything else in the CBS position with minor tuning.

I may try the Radio Shack 15-2160 outdoor antenna, stick it up in the attic, and use the smaller antenna just for the VHF for NBC which is on channel 10 in my area, and combine to 2 antenna feeds to get out of having to re-position the antenna when needed. Oh what we do to get HD into the house...

14. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Larry Schneider, please do not mistake my comments for the fleeting cable industry as one of being dissatisfied with my DirecTV. In the end, DTV has been a lot better to me in terms of general customer service and signal quality.
    I did have a problem back around April when my new Philips DirecTivo unit was exhibiting severe problems. Under warranty, I have the option to follow DTV's lead of TiVo (both offered no-cost serving). My problem with them at that time was that they seemed to have 'lost my unit'. After 3.5 weeks, though, it was returned, new subscription card included and the problem corrected. Still, they only offered me a $15 credit for almost a month of service not in use. Bah!
    My other concern with respect to the subject matter is that Michael Powell is an idiot. Sorry, son, you just are not looking out for me, the consumer. The FCC's decision to not blackmail the satellite industry into providing consumers with a 10-15 channel all HD package independent of any other service requirement for a favorable outcome to the merger was just pure asinine.
    I am a man of CRT means, which means I will barely tolerate channels with offending network logos, which is the majority now. I would be watching HDTV (a la HDnet, HD HBO, HD Showtime, etc.) if I could get them without being forced to a) subscriber to a basic programming package first, and b) forced to subscribe to an entire movie package in order to get one [HD] channel I really want.
    Its sad that many are having to pay so much for so little. If one wants only the HD channels they have to subscribe to a basic package first, then a couple of movie packages (for a couple of HD channels). This is insulting, price-fixing, etc., etc., etc. I could care less if they cable industry is doing the same thing: its called collusion in my book.
    Thus, even though I have a 65" HDTV upstairs and finishing my basement with an XG135LC, the current landscape is tantamount to highway robbery at its best. Its going to be amusing when Powell's legacy in 2006 turns into a national broadcasting disaster. Personally, I simply stop subscribing in favor of a pre-recorded HD content only solution mixed with OTA HD.
    BTW, what is the minimum all of you are having to pay in order to get any of the non-OTA HD channels?

15. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Well, I just ordered Time Warner Cable's digital service last night for installation tomorrow(!) here in downtown Brooklyn. Their basic digital prices are substantially higher than Directv, but they do offer a bunch local channels not available to Directv in addition to the major locals. It's kinda like Directv vs Dish, where Dish offers the option of a small 50-channel package for less. Personally, I'd much rather stick w/ a smaller package, but at least I don't need to buy an expensive HD box for HD w/ TWC--I'd do Dish, but they don't do YES network. TWC does seem to charge less for their premium channels, so if you want multiple premium services like HBO, Showtime and something else, the monthly ends up a lot closer.

I ordered their base digital package + HBO for $58/month + tax. Probably comes out to ~$63/month. This will include the equipment rental, HBO HD and local HD channels, which are not all back up yet OTA due to 9/11.

If I get the base package + HBO from Directv, it'll cost $44/month, but that doesn't include any locals of course. And I'd be forced to commit for a year + spend $500-700 on an HD receiver, which actually means more like a 2-year commitment although I guess I could always sell the unit if I cancel after 1 year.

Hmmm... With tax thrown in, TWC gets that much more expensive. Something to consider in my re-evaluation in a few months when it becomes more ideal to consider installing Directv.

_Man_

16. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

There's a post on the avs forum indicating that DirecTV's HDTV plans will be discussed at a CES press conference Thursday. This should be interesting.