What's new

Atlanta Hi-Rez Format Event: Need Your Help (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Friends,
The Atlanta Audio Society is having an event this Sunday (2-5PM) at Sound & Cinema in Alpharetta (our best store IMHO) where we will discuss Super Audio and DVD Audio.
I will be speaking on the subject of comparing and contrasting the two formats and we are trying to be very objective despite our preference of Super Audio.
We will be showcasing both Multi-Channel SACD and DVDA. We have some good M-C Super Audio but would like your feedback on the following:
Which DVDA discs are your references in terms of sound quality?
If you are a DVDA fan, what do you like most about the format?
What do you dislike about DVD Audio?
If it's not too much to ask, please provide some feedback.
We want to present each format as well as possible and acquire and play the best possible quality discs and let people decide for themselves.
I suspect the audience will enjoy both formats. :)
Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I forgot to mention that there will be several multi-channel rooms set up for audition.
Hope to see you there if you live in or close to Atlanta.
:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, my favorite "reference-quality" DVD-Audio disc is Steely Dan Two Against Nature. Also, Fleetwood Mac Rumours and Eagles Hotel California sound great well, considering that neither seems to have outstanding-quality masters (especially Hotel California).
What I like about DVD-Audio:
* Significantly better sound quality than CD.
* Multi-channel capability.
* Video content, including lyrics.
What I dislike about DVD-Audio:
* Inconsistent authoring of discs with respect to sampling rate (e.g., 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96 kHz in 5.1 and 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, or 192 in stereo).
* Clumsy user interface, where a display device is required for navigation of certain discs (trying to do it without a display device is like flying a plane with no windows).
* The format specs. do not require inclusion of a discrete stereo track on a disc, and some discs lack discrete stereo tracks (e.g., a couple early Warner titles and all Silverline titles).
* Extremely slow release of software.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Keith,
Thank you very much for your input. You have always been fair and balanced in your opinions. I will use this for my presentation.
Thanks again. :)
I'm hoping John Kotches will give me a couple of really good AIX best recording titles to hunt down.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Lee, the AIX Sampler is very good and gives you a nice variety of surround stuff from different music genres. It is just $6.95 for S&H. For DVD-A, the stereo track of "Tutu" is excellent. I like some things about the surround mixes but on some of it it was overdone. Carly Simon "No Secrets" is also excellent in 192/24 stereo. "Brain Salad Surgery" is just multi-channel and is somewhat interesting too.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, glad to help. Definitely give us a synopsis of this meeting. Wish I could be there!

Kevin T

Screenwriter
man, i wish i could go to this. atlanta is about 6 hours from where i live but i just don't have the time. i've been to sound and cinema before and they are very professional. that's where i intend to purchase my next set of speakers (most likely thiel).

kevin t

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Kevin,
The new Thiel 1.6s are killer. I did not like Thiel until I heard this speaker.
Should be a great event.
Mike,
Thanks for contributing. I think we will pick up the AIX and Beethoven 6.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Keep them coming?
Hopefully we will hear from Mr. Kotches soon. :)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The 1.6s are much easier to drive and more efficient (and sound absolutely wonderful with the VTL integrated amp). They should have new matching center/surrounds for it within the next year at a decent price point. They also sound better with the optional stands. Some of the other speakers are a more difficult load to drive. The 2.3s sound better in many rooms with the Sound Anchor stands that raise them a couple of inches.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
lee:

i listened to the cs1.6 and cs2.3 at sound and cinema and found the 1.6 to be a bit on the "weak" side. i listen to primarily metal / industrial music but also diverge occasionally into artists like tori amos and pj harvey. the cs2.3 are what i'll more than likely end up purchasing. i'm wanting to wait on the cs3.7 but that will be the end of next year at the earliest according to thiel.

kevin t

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
To bring this back on topic...
What I like best about hi-rez is listening to it on my 4 Thiel 2.3s :D

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
i listen to primarily metal / industrial music
This may explain it. The smaller speaker may not have the bass you require. There may be some amplifier effects as well.
I still think on acoustic, jazz and classical, the 1.6s are very good.
Dr. Mark Waldrep has agreed to send over some AIX DVDAs for the Atlanta event and I am working with Chesky Records as well for the event.
Special thanks for Mark for participating. I look for forward to hearing these excellent discs.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks