Atlanta Braves trade Millwood

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Hine, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

And John Schuerholz says:

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I agree, this is a ridiculous trade for the Braves. You have a proven guy in Millwood who makes about 6 Million a year now. Sure, he's arbitration eligible and will command more money, but you cannot get anything better in return than a minor league catcher, Johnny Estrada?!?!?

You mean to tell me they can't trade Millwood to someone like Boston for a guy like Hillenbrand (who Boston is trying to move and when the Braves could use the upgrade at third).

I don't see the rationale here. But thankfully I am not a Braves fan...I'm an A's fan...so I really have no sympathy for JS.

3. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Noooooooooooo!!!!!! [​IMG]
    How could they not get something better for Millwood!!??
    I was pissed when they traded Moss for Ortiz, because in my opinion, Moss was a better pitcher with more potential. Now I am positively livid [​IMG]

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I am a happy Giants fan (Trying not to think about Kent)

I can understand why the Giants did it but I think someone is a little confused on the Braves. Oh well...

5. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that thinks this entire situation is crazy. [​IMG] I'm not really a Braves fan either...rather a fan of baseball in general. And I hate seeing stupid things like this happen and read about JS's whining. Between the money that will go to Ortiz, Hampton and Byrd they could easily have kept a good staff together and then fix some of the problems in the line up.

6. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Try being a Dodgers fan. We have Kevin Brown, Andy Ashby, and Darren Dreifort sucking up 33 million a year. They even pitch a game or two in between surgeries. That's the entire payroll for the Montreal Expos right there, for three "players". With that money, they could have signed Jeff Kent, CLiff Floyd, and hmm, a half a dozen other useful players.

7. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

i have no idea how ed wade pulled this one off. amazing.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Horrible trade. The Paul Byrd pick-up is horrible as well. Plus the Braves bullpen is getting decimated as well. We may finally see a "rebuilding" year by the Braves after a good 10-11 year run at the top.

9. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

Schuerholz just put an end to a near-dynasty (at least in current-era, non-Yankee terms [​IMG]).
    Talk about rolling the dice and losing - he MUST have figured Maddux wouldn't accept arbitration. But it's absolutely crazy not to leave room for that contingency by acquiring Ortiz and Byrd and "using up" your budget there.
    So he's swapped Millwood, Moss, and Glavine for Ortiz, Byrd and Hampton - run out of $$, and not done a damn thing to fix the holes ATL has on offense. And WORSE, Schuerholz dealt Millwood to his main intra-division rival. I'm dumbfounded that he put himself in that position, AND only got a backup catcher for Millwood.
    Unfathomable.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Just a word of caution about Maddox and Millwood. They're both represented by Scott Boras, who is considered the Dark Prince of agents and maybe, the reason Atlanta acquired those other pitchers is that they didn't want Boras to hold them up with 2/5's of their starting pitching. Millwood will be a free agent in 2003, along with Maddox again, if they can't sign him to a multi-year contract. Just a thought because were making judgements on a decision that we really don't know about the hidden details behind the scenes were which may have been the contributing factor(s) for this decision.

Crawdaddy

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I still can't believe we lost from the bullpen:

Spoonybarger, Hammond, and Remlinger.

12. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
  13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I guess Smoltz is going to be pitching 3 innings/game the way the firesale is going on with the Braves.

14. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

No, I think after the Braves find out how poorly their starters are they'll move Smoltz to the rotation and their current starters to the bullpen. I do think Hampton will not be as bad as some think, so Maddux, Smoltz, Hampton and Ortiz will be "ok." So send Andruw Jones with the .833 career OPS, a catcher (do they really need 3?) and a prospect to Cincinnati and take Griffey, Williamson and Graves. Yeah...like that will happen.
    And was there a deadline that I wasn't aware of? Was there any reason why JS absolutely HAD to deal Millwood so quickly? It seems like he just up and did something dumb. I mean, Cinci could use a good starter too...would have been a good place to make a blockbuster trade if you ask me. But what do I know? If my ideas were right I suppose I'd be running the front office. [​IMG]

15. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

For a Phillies fan like myself, it is about time we had things break our way. With Wolf, Millwood, and Padilla, the Phils should have the best starting rotation in the NL East. I really don't understand the Braves. They sign away Paul Byrd who the Phils were looking to get and then trade their best pitcher from last year to the Phils.

If I were GM I would look towards keeping Millwood long term instead of mediocrity like Byrd and Ortiz. Between Atlanta and the Mets bad moves, and the Expos likely fire sale, the Phils should win the division by default by just playing half decently.

J