Atlanta Area: Laser Vision goign out of business: DVD's 50% off!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Rubenstein, Apr 6, 2002.

1. David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein Stunt Coordinator

I got a postcard today from this store in Alpharetta (on Mansell Road past North Point Mall). Every DVD is 50% off list. Every LD is 90% off list.

I'm going to be out of town for a week, so I jumped in my car and stocked up on a bunch of DVD's I'd been wanting to get.

If you're in the area, you should check them out. They still have a good selection left.

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Thanks david. I posted the deal to the two Atlanta-area HT boards as well, I'll try to head up there tommorrow.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I went a bit nuts and picked up over 45 LDs at this place. I only bought 3 DVDs: Career Opportunities (WS), Meet The Feebles, and The Matrix Revisited.

Amazingly enough, they were selling the AC-3 Titanic LD for $5 (after discount). There were quite a few LD bargains. I basically treated the LD prices as rental fees - just didn't have to return the LDs after I watch them.

I did pick up some Hong Kong LDs: God of Gamblers 1 and 2, Bullett In The Head, Once a Thief, Full Contact, Drunken Master 2, Police Story, Bruce Lee flick with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, some dts LDs (Jackal, Red Corners, Firestorm, Dusk Till Dawn), some rental fare: Gia, Sabrina, Spellbound, Inventing The Abbotts, Two Girls and a Guy, Surviving Picasso, Cat People, Kalifornia, When We Were Kings, Celebrity, Wings of the Dove; and a handful of Babylon 5 LDs.

The sale is going on until they run out of stock or April 30th.

4. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    How close is this place to Atlanta or Macon, GA?

I'll be flying into Atlanta airport on 10 April...this Wednesday...if it's close...maybe I'll swing by.

5. Matt Stryker

Michael- Its a good 30 miles or so from the airport, and its the opposite direction from Macon.

Does anyone know their phone # or hours of operation? I want to go up there, but would prefer to wait until an evening.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

They are in the phone book under "Laser Vision LTD". I think they are open 10-9? on weekdays (maybe later).

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I am so weak. I went back there again during my lunch hour. BTW, their weekday hours are 11-9, Saturday 11-6, Sunday 1-6 (IIRC).
    I bought roughly another 23 LDs for $86, even picked up the AC-3 Titanic for $5 (I bought it just the cover art). Picked up Ransom because it has some unseen footage not on the DVD, picked up a few more dts LDs (Liar, Getaway, In The Name Of The Father), Tank Girl, Kiss The Girls, End of Days, some other titles that looked interesting, and even Booty Call. [​IMG]

8. Matt Stryker

Pat- I just missed you! I was very impressed by their remaining selection.
    I got:
    Mad Max:Beyond Thunderdome (completes my trilogy)
    Tigerland
    American Psycho:Unrated
    Harley Davidson & the Marlboro Man (guilty pleasure for $7)
    The Waterboy
    Stand By Me: SE
    1941: CE
    And WOW! DVD-Audio was half-price too (meaning about $12/disc) I got Buena Vista SOcial Club and Paul Simon: You're The One on DVD-A and Boyz II Men on DTS-CD.
    THey still have lots of the full-bitrate DTS discs at half off, as well as some box sets (I saw the UK TV Traffik for $20) and lots of kids stuff. Great deals, especially on the always-high priced Universal CEs.Run, do not walk to Laser Video. Do it before Pat and I strike again!

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I was amazed at the folks buying crateful of LDs, but at the price, why not? Each one is like a movie rental, and I did get some AC-3 LDs just so I could get some use out of my RF AC-3 demodulator (which was only getting use when I played my Phantom Menace LD).

The funny was that I was having a hard time paying 50% of list price for DVDs when I was getting 90% off on the LDs. It just didn't make any sense to pay $15 for one DVD when I could buy 4 LDs for the same price. Amazing how your value system changes as the quantity bulks up while trying keeping the costs down.

I don't think I'll tempt fate by going back there this week...

There were quite a few LDs that I thought about getting simply due to the cover art (it'd be cool to hang up on walls one of these days), but I already had the DVD versions of them.

10. Michael D. Bunting

Michael
    Thanks Matt!
    I may just go out of my way on wednesday night - but then again - they might be all gone by the time I get there... [​IMG]
    I'm gonna be on a pretty strict schedule....so it may be tough anyway. If only my return flight left Atlanta later than 8:15 AM on Saturday morning [​IMG]

11. Matt Stryker

Michael- Here are the directions if you do go (from the Airport):

Take I-85 north from the airport and merge onto I75/85 (Downtown Connector)

The interstate will split again after about 8 miles of really fun driving; take I-85 north.

After about another 4 miles, take the exit for GA-400 north. You will need $0.50 each way for the toll.

Stay on GA400 for around 10 miles until Exit 8 (Mansell Rd). Take a right off the exit.

Continue on Mansell (you will pass a mall on your left) for about 2 miles. You will see the road sign for Old Alabama; Laser Video is in the shopping center on your right.

I'd say its worth it, plus there is an excellent Thai resturant near that exit. To get back to Macon, just go back the way you came, except take I-75 when you get near the airport.

12. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Damn! Damn! Damn! I was in Atlanta this past Sunday, but I didn't know about this "sale"! While these independent stores are likely to have a better selection, they simply can no longer compete with the likes of Best Buy for sales and Blockbuster or Movie Gallery for rentals. Their business model - small dealer of high-end niche video software - has evaporated. The same thing happened to that laserdisc/DVD place in Smyrna, now calling itself Georgia Home Theater. They got of of the software side of the biz several months ago.

13. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Just got back from there...

There is still plenty of dvd inventory. Unfortunately, since my current collection is well into the 900s, I had a hard time finding titles I wanted...

I ended up getting:

Criterion: For All Mankind

IMAX Beavers

Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein

Toys

The Burbs (guilty pleasure)

There are only 2 Criterion titles left, never heard of em...

I never liked this store, the prices on videos were outrageous... So Long Laser Video!!

14. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I just found out about this.

Dog! I'm going to try to get by there this weekend.

Are these new laserdiscs or previously viewed ones?

15. Michael D. Bunting

Michael
    Thanks for the directions Matt - unfortunately - I didn't get a chance to go by there while I was in Georgia last week.
    I wanted to - but to start off - my flight from Seattle to Atlanta was delayed here in Seattle (weather) and I was running behind from the get-go on this whole trip.
    It would have been impossible to visit the store on Saturday also - as my plane took off around 8:30 AM from Atlanta. [​IMG]
    Thanks again for all your help....

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Glenise, the 95% of the LDs were brand new, only a small section of rental LDs were for sale.

17. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I went to LaserVideo and bought (10) DVDs and (5) laserdiscs for myself.

I bought (2) DVDs for a six year old.

Thanks for the tip David!

Here are some I bought:

The Rage: Carrie 2 (LD)

Original Gangstas (LD)

A Perfect Murder (DVD)

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Glenis, was there any stock left in the store?

19. David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein Stunt Coordinator

Well, I started this thread and then I left town for a couple weeks! I stopped by yesterday and they did have a large inventory remaining. On my first trip (the first day of the sale) I picked up +50 DVD's, so I really was just looking for something that might not have caught my eye the first time.

I also wanted to purchase one of the lighted poster frames, but there was already a waiting list.

I'm going to make one last visit on the last day of the month (there last day in business) to see if there are any special deals.

The greatest part of this sale was that I picked up the Underdog DVD collection on the hope that my two year old would like it and it's all he wants to watch right now!

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

A HTFer came by this afternoon, and I told him about the sale, so we drove over there to take one final looksie. I wound up buying 3 more LDs (The Big Lebowski - for the cover art only, Black Jack - a John Woo showtime movie with Dolph Lundgren, and The Man Who Knew Too Little), and 5 DVDs (Yi Yi, Xiu Xiu the Sent Down Girl, Superman III, Playing By Heart, and The Tao of Steve).
    I did notice a lot of the LDs were snapped up in the past couple of weeks, because some of the stuff that I put back was not there anymore. No dts LDs were in the store anymore (meaning someone actually bought not only the dts version of Heart and Soul, but Kull as well!) [​IMG]
    The discount is still the same 50% off the LIST price for DVDs, and 90% off the LIST price for LDs. But if you buy 20 LDs you get a free Titanic AC-3 LD.