What's new

Atlanta - A city without a soul? (1 Viewer)

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Atlanta is a town full of transplants. It's pretty rare to find native Atlantans.
I'm one by way of Crawford Long Hospital on Peachtree Street some 35+ years ago. Believe it or not, my closest friends or "crew" have been together since grade school.

Although we try, Atlanta does not maintain the agressive sports fan like say Philly. I can say we came close when the Flames were here and maybe with the 1980 "Leeman Bennett Super Bowl Team". Of course, they didn't win or even get there in 1980 but that was the moniker and people were foaming at the mouth around here. Michael Vick has caused a resurgence of this lately.

Atlanta has plenty of soul and everything else you could want if you know where to look and that does not necessarily mean within the city limits. I think this city has too much to offer to try and define a personality for it. If I had to, it would be similiar to identifying the personalities in "Three Faces of Eve".

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
City w/o a soul?......Here in Atlanta, the Chicago Cub fans at Turner Field were louder last night and tonight at the game. The media here in Atlanta and the national media has been roasting their lack of passion and enthusiasm all day long, and tomorrow will probably be no different. Turner Field is being called Wrigley Field South.:frowning:

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Cubs have a lot to play for and the fans have not been here in a while. If it was the Astros you wouldn't see the Ted field filled with Houston fans.

Is there anyone from Phoenix here? I've never been there myself but from what I've read/heard the city sounds like the definition of souless. Built in about 10 years, full of ex Californains and others trying to escape crowded cities and expensive houses, only to create the same situation there.
Yeah, that's about right.

Clay

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
What you call a "soul" or "personality" of a city, for many cities I would call it an obnoxious attitude that for some reason its residents are actually proud to have. If you can't identify a "personality" in a city then that's probably a good thing because it means the lasting impression the city makes doesn't come from the assholes who live there.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
What you call a "soul" or "personality" of a city, for many cities I would call it an obnoxious attitude that for some reason its residents are actually proud to have. If you can't identify a "personality" in a city then that's probably a good thing because it means the lasting impression the city makes doesn't come from the assholes who live there.
I couldn't disagree more. If what you said was true, why travel anywhere if everyplace you visited had some neutral culture.

James L White

Supporting Actor
Doesn't atlanta have one of if not the highest female to male ratios in the US? I'd say it's got plenty of soul for that reason alone. :D

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Kevin I guess you just haven't encountered as many obnoxious-and-proud-of-it assholes in your travels as I have.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
As a matter of fact, I have travelled to Texas, and with that admission you may need to disqualify yourself from the discussion. Your status as a proud Texas asshole depends entirely on how you react to being served a plate of barbecue that's made from pork instead of beef.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
I've been here since 1988. In general I think what makes Atlanta the best is its great combination of big-city and small town. Because we are sprawled out (a good thing in my opinion, although others disagree), there are lots of small-town pockets right in the heart of the city. Thus I can go to a local cafe and still get that "everybody knows my name" experience. Yet at the same time I'm not stuck in a 1 theater small town that is only playing the latest blockbuster. In Atlanta those old 1-theater buildings have been converted to art houses that allow me to see the limited release films.

The city hasn't been totally paved over, and there are lots of trees and greenery. I bought a nice wooded 2/3rd acre lot with lots of privacy... but I'm minutes from all the shopping I'll ever need (as was said, we do have plenty of malls).

The weather is pretty nice, and perfect if you have a convertable. The winters generally aren't that cold (usually only below freezing overnight), and its been a decade I think since I last saw a below-0 F day. But if you like snow, you don't want to live here. W have it maybe only once a year at most.

This year we had a mild summer with only 1 day above 100 degrees I believe.

The culture is a melting pot to be certain. In Cobb county for instance you have a severe homophobic crowd which are regular bible thumpers and mark their science textbooks with warnings against evolution, yet in Little-5 points you might be afraid to walk around if you are "normal" looking. ;)

There are lots of colleges and universities in the area, so we are definately a college town. Ga Tech and Emory are top ranked in various academic programs. Occassionally our teams even shine and take national championships, although that might happen only once a generation.

Also if you are into higher class functions, we have a larger than normal number of millionaires living here, so there are plenty of uppity things to do as well.

Also a plus is that we are a big enough city that all the main musical shows come through on a regular basis, yet there is also plenty of places to go and see smaller bands.

The media here in Atlanta and the national media has been roasting their lack of passion and enthusiasm all day long

Thats because most of us were dreading the innevitable... that Atlanta would make the playoffs... but lose again. We know how the Buffalo Bills felt, but its even worse because we did win the once, and anything less is just a disappointment...

AJC headline: Not Again!

Ted Turner bought Atlanta's soul and colorized it.

Actually I think Ted had a lot to do with making Atlanta a great city in a number of ways... Braves, CNN, TBS, Omni/Phillips, etc. He's a character for certain, but a lot of what he's done has helped the city.

I was thinking of a 5 year plan to move to a place like Atlanta but someone who lives there says there is no water (lakes, etc) in Atlanta, or very few.

We have two main lakes, each about a half hours drive outside the city (2 hours drive in rush hour). Chattahoochee River property exists as well, and there are a number of smaller ponds. So you want to own a boat and go out, these probably will satisfy, but you will be out in the suburbs and pay a premium. But you are right, its not a "water" city like some others, athough we will have a very large aquarrium in 2 years.

It's called eye candy James - and there's lots of it.

The girls might not be the equal to those at the Mall of America, but we certainly have our share of beauties. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks