What's new

Atkins Diet Advice (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Well, I started the Atkins plan on January 2nd and I've lost 23 pounds and feel great. I had a couple of bad weekends (pizza and pasta), which was a bit of a setback, but I'm more determined then ever! I will let everyone know how I'm doing in about a month. Thanks for all of your support. It's great to loose weight and not be hungry.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Well, I started the Atkins plan on January 2nd and I've lost 23 pounds and feel great.
Yes, you have lost weight, but not in a healthful manner. As previously stated losing weight doesn't unequivocally mean that it is healthy or is it indicative of a healthful diet.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Blah blah blah blah blah. Tom's a broken record. Don't let others pass judgement about things they have never tried on YOUR diet.

Good for you about the lost weight. If it's working for you and you feel great, keep it up!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Thank goodness she isn't my dietitian. I know Registered Dieticians and none of them approve of the Atkins Diet.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Do you really think insulting someone's mother is the best way to get your point across Tom? The point of the thread wasn't to debate the Atkins diet. It was to offer Atkins-related tips to those on it.
Robert: Try the Atkins Friends Forum for more supportive comments.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Thanks Tom for the comment about my mother. Like Don said, I'm asking for tips, not insults.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Hi Robert-

Good job on the diet! I'm on a low-carb diet and it's worked great for me. Basically, I'm not being as strict as Atkin's would like. I eat more salads and veggies then is allowed (though only "approved veggies"). And it still works. Lots of fish and chicken. I have had regualar blood work done, and everything is fine-HDL, LDL, trigylercides, liver, kidneys...

I think the point everyone misses on this diet is that, although it is a lifestyle change, there will not always be a severe restriction on carbs. You're not supposed to be in ketosis for life. There are 4 phases, each one adding carbs, and for the last phase you add carbs in until you find your limit.

Bottom line: what works for some doesn't work for others. You need to find a diet that works for you. It is a decision to be made by the dieter in consultation with his/her health care provider.

I know Registered Dieticians and none of them approve of the Atkins Diet.
I work in a large metropolitan hospital and I can tell you that there has been a change in many dietitian's attitude towards low-carb, at least around these parts.

Gary_E

Second Unit
The truth about the 'ODOR' is this, fat is expelled from the body two ways, through waste and through breath. Bad breath is a common side effect of ketosis but it can be controlled with no carb breath mints such as Smints.
Tic-Tac’s and sugarless gum contain hidden carbs and should be used sparingly. Watch for hidden carbs everywhere, such as in cold remedies. Buy dietetic liquids only. The sugar in the regular stuff is only there to make it taste good, not work better.
I think the point everyone misses on this diet is that, although it is a lifestyle change, there will not always be a severe restriction on carbs. You're not supposed to be in ketosis for life. There are 4 phases, each one adding carbs, and for the last phase you add carbs in until you find your limit.
Exactly correct Pam. You add back carbs into your diet until you stop losing weight. That’s your tolerance limit, exceed it and you’ll gain, stay below it and you’ll lose.
Robert,
Glad to hear about your success so far. Remember you’re addressing a metabolic problem. This is why Dr. Atkins suggests no caffeine or alcohol. Both of these substances do not contain high carbs but will upset the metabolic balance you are trying to achieve. I’m not that strict with my caffeine intake but booze destroys my maintenance program. As a rule I don’t drink but I went to a party two years ago and had two regular sized Jack Daniels and water. It screwed me up so bad, I gained twelve pounds and it took me six months to lose them again. Needless to say I have not indulged in adult beverages since.
The most difficult craving to lose is SWEETS. I still get cravings after all my years of living low carb.
CARB SOLUTIONS makes a couple of great products to help with these cravings.
Protein bars are available in the following flavors: peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter and chocolate, hazelnut toffee and my favorite, chocolate fudge almond. Each bar contains two grams of carbs and they are all very good.
Keep them in the refrigerator and eat them cold for the best taste. Heavy cream, water and sugar substitute make an ok milk mock-up to wash down those chocolate fudge almond bars. :)
Protein shakes are available in creamy vanilla or rich chocolate. They are available either as a liquid or in powder form. The powders are less expensive than many of the protein mixes available in GNC and they taste better too. Mix equal parts water and heavy whipping cream in a blender. Add a sugar substitute and two scoops of shake mix (4 grams of carbs = chocolate, 2 grams = vanilla) and blend with a little crushed ice. Makes a great shake.
If your blender has an ice crusher button, forget the water and replace with ice, crushed to the consistency used for snow cones. Add the sugar substitute and slowly add the heavy cream (40% fat, is best) until the mixture begins to blend smoothly (it’s kind of like pulse-churning). Crack an egg into the mixture and it will get really smooth. Slowly add scoops of shake mix until it churns smoothly. The consistency can be either as thick as a Wendy’s shake or more firm like melting ice cream. Of course you can always put it in the freezer and have it another time.
I have a protein bar every morning and a shake at night. I try to bike about 5 miles a day because it just makes me feel better. If I don’t ride a particular day, I skip the shake that night. That’s my motivation, I want the shake so I ride. Oh yeah, after always having your closet filled with size 42 jeans it’s damn nice seeing that ‘waist 34’ label on the Levis hanging there now. That’s my motivation.
I ignore all the nay-sayers. They each have their own litany of credentials except one: they are not now nor have they ever been, FAT. When a diet doctor or weight-loss professional is successful, they lose a client and that isn’t good for business. So they demonize Dr. Atkins because failure feeds their profession. I will be eternally grateful to the person who turned me on to low carb and allowed me to enjoy the last ten years with a confident discipline I never had prior.
Keep up the good work and you will be very pleased with yourself.
Regards,
-Gary

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Try out http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Index.html, you can open up an account and keep track of all your calories, the weight you drop, and most importantly, the amount of vitamins you intake, so you can track if your not eating proper, this is very important,it dont matter what diet you decide to try out. Very exciting site, its cool to keep track of everything with pie charts and graphs!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks