ATI Radeon Differences. . . .

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brian-K-Owens, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

My HTPC currently has a Geforce256 card installed, but am getting ready to upgrade . . .

Is there a really big difference in some of the newer ATI Radeon cards such as the 9500/9700's vs. the 7500/8500 when only used for DVD playback?

My friend with a radeon card has had a terrible time with the ATI DVD player and the audio/video sync issue. . .Does anyone know if this has been cleared up or will be? It only happens when he uses the ATI player, not WinDVD, but I thought the ATI player was a big part of the additional picture quality you get with the Radeon card. . .Is that correct? Does anyone know if the problem occurs with TheaterTek?

Thanks!
    Brian

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

1) The difference isn't as big in DVD playback with newer cards. Some report a slight improvement, but nothing amazing. I still use a 7500 series card, and am happy. Will probably go to a 9500 eventually, just to see if I notice a diff.

2) the ATI player was popular due to the filters it used. These are sort of old news at this point, and better players and filters are out there now. I have zero problems with sync and Theatertek using the Radeon and a M-audio digital output card.

-vince

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Vince,

I have a 7200/7500 card, been wondering about building an HTPC. What other components do you have (OS, CPU, RAM) and how is the DVD quality? Can you get 480p or above better than a regular progressive scan player? Also, by any chance have you have used your HTPC to clean up a 480i signal and tuen it into a 480p+ output? These are the couple of things I would want to do, so I was just wondering about how you feel it works out.

Thanks,
    Joe

4. Brian-K-Owens

I will comment Joe,

I built the HTPC to use with my projector, and boy is it a night and day difference over a stand alone player. My PC is simple: 750 Mhz Duron, 256 MB ram, Geforce256 video card, M-Audio 2496, Windows 98 SE and WinDVD 2.3.

Let me say that last night I installed a 1.1 Ghz Athlon (just because that is all my MB can handle, and it was only $37 with the fan and heatsink), and I had my projector setup on the table projecting on the wall making about a 40" picture. While I was playing around making sure the new processor was working, I put in the Star Wars DVD. While it was playing, I looked over at the 36" Sony Tube TV my wife was watching a movie on. . . .Boy was I surprised that the projector at 40" actually looked MUCH MUCH BETTER than the Sony. . .And I just have a Boxlight CD-555m DLP projector. With a stand alone DVD player, the projector comes no where near the Sony TV, but with the HTPC the projector looks awesome.

I use the DVI interface from the video card to the projector and I know that has a lot to do with the BIG difference I am seeing. As far as using the TV out (like S-video) of the video card, I do not know how much difference there is; I have never tried it. I would love to hear something on that comparison.

Brian

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Cool, great insight Brian.

I would be using component inputs most likely, as my 48709 mitsubishi doesn't have DVI in. I would think once I could get the resolutions worked out, it should be alright. When you display DVD material, do you use 480p or can you scale it higher as you like? Obviously, it can't pull true 1080i material from DVD, but can it upscale the feeds to a 1080i resolution fairly well?

Many thanks again...

6. Brian-K-Owens

Since I use DVI, I scale mine to 1024 x 768 (projector native) and it is progressive.

I wish I had more experience with the PC and the "TV out" connections, but I built mine knowing I wanted to use the DVI, and that is all I became familiar with.

Brian

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Also outputting 720p in this config, input via input card to Dscaler, to 720p output. Looks okay, but not close to DVD.

8. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Agent

when u use DVI pc to projector u sould get a 720x480 dvd resolutions scaled to fit the 1024x768 resolution of the projector

just like viewing a monitor screen or lcd screen