ATI Radeon 9700 (R300) is a killer card...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max Leung, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

ATI’s Radeon 9700 (R300) – Crowning the New King
    Anandtech was allowed to publish benchmark results, and the results are incredible...nearly 50% increase in framerate over the Geforce 4 Ti4600 running UT2003, for example. Holy smokes! [​IMG]
    I hope the 9700 has all the DVD/mpeg2 playback features of their other high-end cards...mating this with the TheaterTek software DVD player AND playing UT2003 at huge framerates is now possible!

2. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I've been burned once already by ATI's promises that driver support will be "much better times time around" when the Radeon 8500 was introduced and disgruntled owners of the previous Radeon tried to warn me.

ATI builds a -killer- card but their driver support is the worst I've ever seen.

3. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Did you read the article? ATI fixed these problems...actually they fixed them with the R8500 too for the most part.

The Radeon 9700 is an amazing card, but I think it's only a worthwhile upgrade option if you have something in the Geforce 2 range. If you have something like a Geforce4 Ti then your card is more than enough for at LEAST 6 months, probably more...and by the end of the year nVidia will have their next card out which will (without a doubt in my mind) slaughter even this ATI card. Anand even mentions that the next nVidia card will be faster. nVidia has also been quoted in an interview saying that this will be the most significant contribution they will make to the graphics industry, so I have high hopes for it.

For me, since I own a Ti4200, I will be skipping this card. If I still had my GF2 I would be all over it though. The anti-aliasing performance is particularly amazing, but again...nVidia has also said that they expect to have 4X AA with literally no performance hit!! I will believe it when I see it.

4. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

Well I am in the same boat as all the others with ATI driver problems. I bought my card 3 months ago and I still have problems with it. It used to happen when using the TV out to watch movies or other digital media on my computer, and last night I was testing out a game (Die Hard) and it crashed playing the demo. When I say crash I mean crash, the computer blue screens and I have to re-boot, then Win XP goes through the HD's to make sure that they are OK. The Win XP error report says its the driver, which is obvious.

I have been to all the web sites that explain the correct way to install the drivers and have done and re-done thse steps, but I still have crashing problems. Yeah, except for all these crashes the video performance is great on my AIW 7500, but the crashes just ruin what would be a great experience.

I would love to see ATI post a clear and definate way to install the neccessary drivers for my video card so that my computer doesn't crash when I want to actually use it.

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

An interesting quote from the article:

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

BTW, according to the article, ATI has rewritten the drivers for the 9700. Oh boy, I bet that doesn't inspire much confidence...they're deviating from the Unified Driver Architecture they promised for their previous cards.

So, the 9700 will likely have higher performing drivers, but it's almost certain there will be a host of different problems from the 8500 and earlier cards. Eeeek.

7. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Also from anandtech.com:

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Joel, I don't think they lied. Mosey on over to www.slashdot.org and read the comments about the card (the ATI 9700 is one of their news items). It may well be that the UDA will migrate over to the ATI 9700 driver architecture.
    Also, keep in mind that Anandtech got a preview version of the card and drivers. And, benchmark results showing framerates are not yet permitted to be published, which is why Anandtech used relative numbers compared to the Geforce 4 Ti4600, so it is unlikely that ATI cooked their drivers. How would ATI know they would run a Serious Sam or Jedi Knight 2 benchmark?

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I trusted ATi with the original Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO....couldn't run half of my games because of driver issues. Joel said it correct:

10. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

11. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Josh, right after your quote....

12. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I will continue to use ATI for my HTPC but for gaming it will be nVidia all the way. I just got a GF4 ti4400 so I think I'll skip at least the next two generations from either company.

If you are considering this new ATI card I would wait until september when nVidia is revealing their NV30. See how they stack up to each other and if this card is 'the most significant contribution' to the gaming world by nVidia.

13. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

I think it is silly to pledge sole allegiance to one single company.

Anyone remember 3dfx?

Right now, ATI is king baby.

And this comes from an Nvidia Fanboy.

I have had a TNT2Ultra, Geforce256, and currently a Geforce 2 32MB DDR card.

If you already have a Ti4400 or better then it will be a good idea to wait as that is still a fresh purchase, some of us however, havent caught up yet and are itching to build a new box. As it stands if I had the cash the Radeon 9700 would be in, but Nvidia's NV30 is on the horizon.

Im gonna let them throw down to see who comes on top. Then my decision will be rendered.

Also, I highly doubt that ATI is going to have nearly as many driver issues as in the past. Right now they have the crown, and it will be VERY unlikely that they want to screw that up with some bad driver releases.

14. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

15. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

16. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

17. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

Does anyone have a link to a fps comparison of the 9700? I know they didn't want this posted but I'm sure some site has it somewhere.

Signed,

Epstein's Hand Twin!

18. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

All I can say is...and with all due respect and fairness to ATI...and speaking currently as pro-NVIDIA, formerly pro-3dfx...is that it's about time that a new card from ATI is better than the last best card from NVIDIA. You would expect that whoever has the newest card would have the fastest card. Well, between ATI and NVIDIA, that's never been true before now; even after ATI's newest card, there was always an older NVIDIA card that was better. Well, ATI finally did it, and, still speaking as pro-NVIDIA, kudos to them. It can only be a good thing for us consumers that NVIDIA finally has some real competition.

19. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

20. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

To go from AGP 4x to 2x or to disable the other video features, you should be able to find this in your BIOS setup. Most Keyboards you just press DEL on during the boot up screen that shows your proc and memory amount. Some may have other keys, most screens tell you which key to press to go to BIOS setup.