ATI Radeon 8500dv & HDTV Adapter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Grell, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Mike Grell

Mike Grell Agent

Jul 20, 1999
    I recently purchased a new machine, with intentions to use it out in my livingroom to a) replace my VCR so I could record TV digitally, and b) surf the web on my couch on the big TV [​IMG]
    Now I'm not having any troubles with the computer at all, it's awesome for the job. However, when it comes to using a computer on a television set, this is a whole brand-new arena for me.
    The computer side of the video stuffs is:
    ATI Radeon 8500dv Video Card
    ATI HDTV Component Video Adapter
    My TV is a Toshiba 50HX81 Widescreen
    First of all - does anyone else here have the same video card / adapter, and has it setup and working nicely?
    I'm currently running the video card straight out using S-Video, as opposed to Component as I can't find a combination of settings via Component that allow me to see all the computer screen. Any TV mode + screen resolution seems to chop off too much of the visible screen. For instance, at 800x600 I cannot see the task bar at the bottom of the screen at all. 640x480 makes the desktop so huge, it has to scroll around so I can view it all (plus pieces are "off-screen" due to overscan).
    Anyways, S-Video - I'm running at 800x600 with large fonts so I can read things. Still kinda fuzzy, would never be able to tolerate it for long periods of time.
    Am I crazy, or is there anyone else out there with such a (?) setup?
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!
    PS... The video recording/playback works great! [​IMG]
  2. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Dec 21, 1999
    I have the 8500DV but I haven't purchased the component adapter just yet. My 27' Proscan doesn't have the inputs, but it is slowly dying and is begging to be replaced.
    The S-Video while it's better than anything else, is still rather fuzzy for graphics but looks acceptable for video. You might find some info at Rage3D. I'm sure there are other users with your configuration looking for answers.