What's new

ATI Card about to Conk out? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I thought my CPU heat sink fan was making noise, so when I heard it for an extended period, I opened up my case. Turns out it didn't seem to be coming from the fan at all. The fan was running smoothly and didn't seem like it could be making that noise.

It seemed to be coming from the direction of the ATI card. I take out the PCI16 AIW, boot up the comp, and left it on for 7 minutes. Bingo. Quiet as a mouse, no noise.. Put it back in, things seem quiet, then boom, it starts up again.

Anyone else have similair problems?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
it's the gpu fan, which is the only possible thing that could make noise on a video card. smaller and lower quality fans are used, so they burn out quickly. your card may be fine without a fan, every vid card ive used has had a fan die on it, and they usually work afterwards. now, i only buy video cards that were designed to be operated fanless.

CJ

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hmm, weird. I've had at least 3 ATI AIW's that have lasted years without a fan failing, and this one for only 8 months..

Would they replace it?

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit

If its under a year old it may still be under warranty. If its anything like the ATI video cards i have owned, you will have to replace the heat also. If they won't replace the fan, see if you can remove the fan and buy a standard 40mm fan or other size that fits and bolt it to the heatsink. Or you can get a replacement heatsink and fan online for cheap and will out perform the stock cooler.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
GPU fans are pretty easy to come by, if you have a frys in your area look there, they usually have a generous assortment of gpu fans onhand. Or look online if you can wait that long.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
OK, this fan is really starting too annoy me, and now that I have the money, I'm able to replace it. Can anyone recomend a super quiet, efficient, and affordable fan that works with ATI PCE16 2006 All in Wonder?

THanks
Neil

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
fans are only a few bucks, and only come in certain sizes. measure how large it is (in mm) and buy one the same size. has to match the voltage ratings on your old fan.

CJ

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Better yet, buy a quiet and efficient cooling solution that replaces the stock fan and heatsink entirely. This will set you back a few tens of dollars though, but it will silence the graphics card and cool it efficiently.

I'm a big fan of Arctic Cooling graphics card coolers and have one of their Silencer products. Great cooler; it's almost entirely silent, cools the graphics card very well indeed and finally it blows the hot air straight out of the back of the case and doesn't just whip it around inside the case and expect the chassis exhaust fans to deal with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks