What's new

ATI-Amps, have you seen these? (1 Viewer)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I just found this web site www.ati-amp.com and they just caught my eye because they sale one amp that looks almost identical to the Outlaw 770. There model #at1807 even has similar power output rated at 200 watts x7 @ 8ohm. In fact the only thing that looks differnt on it is the face of it. I just had a quick look around the site but I just found it wild how much it looks like the Outlaw & even in the same price bracket at 1995.00 but never heard about them before.

I just found it interesting & wondered if anyone else has seen or heard of them?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
ATI has been around for quite some time.

Besides selling outstanding amps under their own name, they do manufacture to spec amplifiers for other companies.

In short, ATI is very good, just not as hyped as some other brands are.

Regards,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Claude,

The principals were involved in SAE -- I don't know for sure if SAE morphed into ATI.

Regards,

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Joe;
If Kokomo, Indiana is the most boring place on earth, its time to move!

SAE became ATI and they manufacture the Outlaw amps (but not the 7100).

John:
Today (Friday), I bought the September issue of WS Review. Will you take a bit of constructive criticism from this 47 year old audiophile? I thought you would. In reading your review of the Outlaw 7100 amp, you didn't really get into a detailed description of the sound of the amp and simply glossed over a bland conclusion of it. Surely I'm spoiled after 20 years of reading Stereophile and TAS with their mile long detailed scripts, but hey, was the 7100 that bland?
You sure covered-up their propensity to clip with inneficient speakers in a very elegant way, you are too accomodating.
Get us more into the sound qualities and the performance of the unit reviewed, than the design aspects of a particular unit. Make the reviews more entertaining and involving to read.

Thanks, and very best,

JaimeB

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Jaime,

First off, thanks for supporting WSR!

I appreciate your constructive criticism, since it's offered politely, with your perspective on how my writing could improve.

One thing you don't know, is that both the 950 and 7100 reviews had more verbage, but due to space constraints in the issue (September is 130 pages) the reviews aren't quite as long as when they were submitted.

As for the performance with lower sensitivity speakers, I had none at my disposal -- I have a limited number of speakers available, and my main reference speakers (about 88dB in room) were still packed in their boxes. The Rockets that I used are about 90dB in room and could be played as loud as I could stand (peaks around 102dB) without the 7100 being pushed into clipping.

Your preference for S'phile and TAS' writing style is noted... let's just say I'm not a fan of that particular style of writing, with noted exceptions for Robert Greene and Kal Rubinson.

That doesn't mean I can't strive to make my content more "personal" as it were and will see what I can do with my next review along those lines.

Regards,

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yes, good ole SAE Amps!
Scientific Audio Electronics/Inc.

Very nice stuff, especialy their amps. Still have a few amps and other stuff laying around.

Didn't SAE go totally bankrupt, then ATI came forth some time later????

I know J&R and DAK bought out allot of the remaining inventory when they went under.

If they would have just stayed with Amps and maybe Pre's, who knows.

My understanding (very limited read information) is that they tried to get into to many other component areas to fast and it caught them. Investors bailed and they went belly up...
I never have heard the real complete story, dose anyone know how SAE went under for sure????

Regards
Geoff

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Geoff;

Here is the short story on SAE:

www.wardsweb.org/audio/sae_history.html

My question to you : is DAK still around?

John:

Sorry the editor took some of your review's paragraphs out, Mr.Reber gave your space to Perry Sun in his two reviews of the Halo equipment. :)

Thanks for responding, I've been reading WS Review for over seven years now, and Stereophile and TAS for just about 20 years. (Sh*T time really flies by!)

Keep those reviews (complete) coming!

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Jaime

Yes, Dak is back again but the stuff he's selling is, well, not like the old days.
I'll see if I can find the link..

He started back up this year I belive and he's about to put out his catalog again.
Right now he has a web site and you can get a monthly email of whats new. Also can register for his free catalog mailing, when and if it ever gets started. I registered about 6 months ago!
Hopefully he'l get back into to some nice interesting audio stuff again...

Thanks for the SAE link, I'll go take a look...

Cheers
Geoff

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
John;

Heh, heh, I didn't connect the dots, but you are the same JK (but of course!) that used to write for J.E. Johnson's SECRETS OF HOME THEATER!

Always found your review style entertaining and fully detailed, just re-read your review of the BPT BP-2 conditioner and it was great! Must have been the paragraphs that Mr. Reber took out this time around, made it all bland, like I mentioned in my first post.

I surmise you no longer write for SECRETS, since I believe you haven't written anything there since April of 2002. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What happened (if I may ask?)

Very best,
JaimeB

PS: since we have been touching on "old' amp manufacturers, what ever happened with Soundcraftmen ? Can't find anything in the 'Net.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Jaime,

I don't use a nom de plume, so yes I'm that same person.

As far as "what happened", JJ felt that it was a conflict of interest for me to be writing for both WSR and Secrets, so I chose to make the move over to WSR exclusively.

I think that covers it in a very succinct fashion ;)

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks