1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

ATI 2505, Parasound 2205AT or Rotel 1095. Which one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Legairre, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I've been holding out waiting to see what the Outlaw 770 amp will be like, but I've decided not to wait any longer on an unproven amp when there are some really great proven amps available right now.
    I can get the Rotel and the Parasound for about $1700.00. The ATI will cost me about $2000.00. Which one will give the best sound per dollar. I plan on upgrading to Paradigm Studio 100s.
    Thanks
    ------------------
    "What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater

2. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    I used to own a Paradigm Reference system. Studio 100's/cc/adp450's/Active 20's. I tried several amps and Recievers. Carver I think it was the 705, a DSP-A1 a RX-V1, Citation 7.1 and with the 100's the Parasound 2205 sounded the best to my ears and had the best synergy with the 100's. There are alot of Paradigm owners on this site and it seem that the Parasound amps have a great synergy and mate well with the Paradigms. I have heard the Rotel but not with the 100's but it is a nice amp. The ATI seem to have a rep as a slightly more forward and bright amp. Your mileage may very.All these amps are good amps so if possible demo each.For my money the Parasound would be my pick. Good Luck, Steve
    ------------------

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

FWIW, I have heard the 2205 with the reference 100s at a dealer, where they were set up fairly well (i.e., dedicated room, not too much clutter, not overtreated [​IMG] ). It sounded like one of the best 100s setup I have heard, and I've demoed 100s at a number of stores, multiple times each. I also liked the Anthem MCA-5 with them; I cranked them with some bass-heavy Steely Dan, and the dealer said he never heard the 100s sound so good. Do note that this Anthem setup was in a fairly deadened room, so potential brightness may not have been heard as much as in a "normal" room.
    Haven't heard the 1095 at all, and only heard the 2505 with PSB Stratus Gold-i's. The 2505 with the Gold-i's did get a bit uncomfortably bright on my brightest demo material at loud volumes.
    I plan on demoing the 100s with an Odyssey Stratos amp (hopefully a home demo), once it comes in.
    YMMV
    Doug
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins
    [Edited last by Doug_B on October 15, 2001 at 03:23 PM]

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I actually don't think you can go wrong with one any of those amps. They are all very nice pieces. (You might want to look into B&K too.) These are all the same manufacturer's I looked into when I bought mine. I ended up with 2 Acurus A200x3's.
    You could check www.audioreview.com, www.ecoustics.com, and www.hometheaterhifi.com for other's opinions.
    ------------------

5. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Since your budget is $2k or less, you should also take a look at some of the Cinepro closeout deals www.cinepro.com . You might also be able to get a good deal on an Aragon thru the group purchase being put together.

6. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

The Parasound 2205 is a beautiful 5 channel amp and is an excellent companion to the 100's. With the 5 channel amp you also have the option to bi-amp the 100's with 4 channels of the 2205.
    The 2205 also works very well with the Studio CC center.
    Dialogue is very natural and clean.
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    *Outdated new pictures
    due to recent upgrades!
    **Equipment list current

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hmmm, I have owned both Parasound and ATI amps and although I now own and love my ATI 2505, in your shoes, I'd buy a used Parasound 2205. You can buy a mint, perfect unit for about $1300, or less, if you shop carefully. You cannot buy the ATI 2505 amp for less than around $1600 used. Also, the ATI requires a minimum 15amp circuit and 15 amp outlet to work. Since I have not owned a Rotel Amp, I cannot comment on one.
    Good Luck and have fun!!!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

8. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Guys thanks for all the replies. I've listened to the Parasound and the Rotel and they both seem to have a warm sound. The Rotel seemed to have a little more bottom end than the Parasound. I haven't heard the ATI yet though. Do any of you know if the ATI leans toward bright or warm?
    Thanks
    ------------------
    "What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater

9. Mike_Reznik

Mike_Reznik Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the Studio 100s and went through the exact same thing that you did. The Rotel amp is kick-ass. It matches the Paradigms very well. That is the amp that I would have gone with... however I found a realy good deal on a brand new B&K Ref7270 (7x200 THX Ultra certified).
    You should check out www.audiogon.com You can find deals on Sunfire, & B&K amps that would make them the same price as the Rotel.
    If you are un-easy about buying on-line, then go with the Rotel. Otherwise, check out the Sunfire and the B&K (both around $2000 brand new).
    Good Luck
    -Mike
    Media Room:
    Paradigm Studio 100s
    Paradigm Studio 20s
    Paradigm Studio CC
    Paradigm PS1000
    B&K Ref7270
    Denon AVR3300
    Toshiba SD6200
    Sony KP61HS10
    Living Room: