athon xp cpu temperature

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim_Y_F, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Tim_Y_F

Tim_Y_F Agent

hey I'm running a computer with athlon 2000XP with 256MB of Hynix(Hyundai)DDRRAM PC2100. Hard disk is a western digital 800BB Caviar 80GB 7200rpm. Motherboard is a ASUS A7V266-E without RAID.

Using the ASUS monitoring program it claims my cpu temperature is 50C when just using 3 programs and 56C when fully loaded for 3 hrs and when playing complex games(RED alert2/ age of empires 2)

Motherboard temp is around 32C.

Is this acceptable? I hear other ppl's computers that claim to only have a CPU temp of 39C!!!!

CPU fan/heatsink is a Magic-Pro 005 7000rpm with aluminium heatsink with a copper circle in the middle of the base.

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Seems kind of high too me, do you have any case fans? Need to get the hot air away from the CPU fan, in any case. My tbird runs about 39C or about 45C when loaded but I only have one case fan sucking air in right now. I do have one of those Enermax dual-fan power supplies though.

Jay

3. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    I have a very similar system:

80GB WD HD

512MB PC2100

AMD 1700+XP

ASUS A7V266-E

Rounded cables

My case is from "Frozencpu.com" the Blizzard 540. Big blowhole on top, fan on back, lots of room.

My temp starts out @ 38 and gets up to 41-42 if playing Medal Of Honor or such.

Try to get some air moving thru your case, on my old pc it ran cooler if I took the side off of it....but your milage may vary.

Good Luck,

~Rob

4. Wes T

Wes T Stunt Coordinator

From what I understand the Asus is one of the few mobos that reads the temp from the internal diode on the processor. Most boards use an external temp sensor underneath the processor and they usually read 10 degrees or so lower. There is a ton of great info at www.amdmb.com. -Wes

5. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Those temps although on the high side aren't "unacceptable" either. I have an older TB and usually run 48 deg celcius (no load) 51-52 degrees celcius (with load). I guess I could optimize my case fans to lower temps a little (or even remove the side panel) but to be quite honest it wouldn't make a usability difference (ie Windows isn't crashing). I wouldn't necessarily be concerned if I were you. AMD usually reccomends that temps stay below 60 degrees celcius although I've heard those chips can tolerate an extreme of 90 degrees celcius.

Michael.