Athlon XP 1800+ idenitified speed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Hardin, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

Just got myself a refurbished PC from UBid in the mail today and when I fired it up it reports the CPU speed as 1145 Mhz. I was supposed to get an Athlon CP 1800 + processor.

The chip is supposed to be ~1530 Mhz but I thought I remembered hearing that the bus speed of the mobo can affect this reading. I have 2 questions:

1. Is the chip in there what I was supposed to get (can't really see the cip itself as it is covered by heat sink and fan).

2. If is is the correct chip, are the mobo settings correct to get the most performance out of the chip.

If more info is needed, let me know. I just upgraded from a pentium 2 so these things are new to me.

Thanks.

2. Kolya

Kolya Stunt Coordinator

The Athlon XP 1800+ runs at 11.5 x 133Mhz. It sounds like your bus is running at 100 (1145 ~= 11.5 x 100).

Using the BIOS or jumpers on the board, make sure your bus is running at 133Mhz

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Kolya seems to have hit it on the head. If you go into your BIOS you should be able to change this without touching the jumpers. Your jumpers on the motherboard are most likely set to run off of the BIOS not manual. Most motherboards are F2 or the delete key on bootup to get to the BIOS.

KyleS

4. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

That did it, thanks for the replies. Changed it in the BIOS without taking anything apart. I appreciate the replies!