Athlon XP 1700+ Project won't start -up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trevor Schell, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Hi!,,
    Red Alert!!
    Today I finally put together all of the peices of my new computer project.I had the help of a close freind who has experience with putting together computers as I am a rookie at this.
    The major components consist of the following:
    -Antec case with a 400 watt power supply.
    -Abit KG7-Raid Motherboard.
    -AMD Athlon XP 1700+ Processor.
    -Radeon 8500 AGP graphics card.
    -Crucial PC-2100 DDR memory.
    Once everything was put together and then powered up you could see that everything seemed to be running.
    You can hear and see the fans rotating,,The CD,DVD,Thermal Sensor,,ETC,,on the front panel all light up as well as the power buttons.
    Unfortunately the monitor stays blank.
    There is no beeps or sounds that indicate that the system has booted up.
    Each component has been disconnected individually and then the computer restarted again ,but with no luck.
    All connections seem to be fine.
    All of the peices in this computer had been ordered from all around the USA and Canada and are all brand new parts.
    Is it possible that one very important component could be DOA..
    Possibly the motherboard.
    How would I know.
    Any tips on pinpointing the culprit.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Steve Young

Steve Young Stunt Coordinator

Steve Young
    Trevor, are you able to get into the BIOS?
    You may want to post this message over here. or search through the forum. Generally the best way to find a bad part is to start with the basic components (CPU, 1 stick ram and video card)and get into the BIOS (if you can) and then start adding parts. (sounds like you did this) If you can't even get that far, see if you can try another CPU in it. (that's what i suspect)
    My motherboard has a feature (Fan Off Control), which when booting up determines whether there is a fan on CPU 1 header, by way of the RPM sensor, if not, it shuts down. I was reading the manual for your mobo but couldn't see any sort of saftey feature like that.
    Keep trying, and let us know if you figure it out.
    Steve

3. Trevor Schell

Thanks for the advice Steve.
    The problem is that I can not get into the Bios.
    I did take out the ram and switched slots, tried a different video card.
    I figure it may be the motherboard or the processor.
    Unfortunately those two parts are not easy to switch out if you know what I mean.[​IMG]
    I will see what I can do though.
    Thanks for the help.
    I will let you know how I make out with this.

4. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

are you connecting a normal keyboard and a normal mouse?

and have you tried to reset the cmos? there is most likely a jumper that should be put in a certain position for several minutes with the power supply unplugged. Just do that and unplg the power supply for as long as you can, and then try again.(after putting the cmos jumper back in place)

also make sure that all the jumpers are set to the proper clock speeds, etc...you may have already done this...

check for screws which may be inside the case somewhere as well.

5. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

For what it's worth, I had a similar situation some years ago where everything SEEMED to power up but would not fully boot and the cpu would just sort of keep running. I happened to have bought all the components from a single vendor so we returned them to have them tested. It turned out to be a crack in the RAM - albeit not visible by me or my friend who is very knowledgeable with computers.

6. Tim_Y_F

Tim_Y_F Agent

check the AC power connections..theres likely to be something wrong with power going to ur critical components. if ur computer can't even go to CMOS/BIOS then theres a power supply problem or you didn't connect the CPU/ram/video card/monitor properly or the CPU/ram/monitor and motherboard are malfunctioning. The video card should not be malfunctioning because you tried a different one and the same thing happens. I don't think the problem has anything to do with the hard drive, sound card, floppy drive, speakers, keyboard, mouse or CD-ROM. Without a hard drive, sound card, floppy drive, speakers, mouse or CD-ROM a computer can still show up something, run the POST test, and can be capable of going to CMOS/BIOS. Without the hard drive and keyboard it won't boot any further after the POST test has stopped and has detected that u don't have a hard drive/keyboard.

NOTE: My computer was in exactly the same situation as urs when I didn't connect the two main power connectors on the motherboard correctly. Another time this happened was when I was careless enough not to connect the CPU correctly. But there are many other things that can show up the same symptoms that u described.

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    One thing I didn't see mention is to try to boot up with one stick of RAM, the CPU, and just a video card hooked up to the monitor and see if that gets you a Beep(s) from the Power-On-Self-Test (aka POST) And try this with the motherboard not connected to the case, like try to put it on the static sheet it came in and hang it up by the 20pin ATX power supply connector. I presume the Antec is a midtower case so it worked for me when I had the same problem. It was not the CPU, I think I had a bad power supply because I went through two motherboards with the same problem and on the third attempt at bootup after dealing with Newegg's exchange policy, the third time I had a different power supply and a different brand motherboard and everything went smooth.
    By setting up your motherboard outside the case, you can tell if something is shorting out your motherboard from the standoffs which some tend to be metal while others are hard rubber.
    I went through this whole bit in November, took me more than a month to get a working system. Ugh!
    Jay

8. Bob Hill

Bob Hill Stunt Coordinator

Sometimes on these boards the cooling fan sensor can cause what you are seeing. If the motherboard doesn't think a CPU cooling fan is installed it won't even boot to the bios. You might want to check your fan connections and make sure that you are plugged into the cpu cooling fan #1 if only using a single fan cooler. Hope this helps out.

9. Trevor Schell

Thanks for all of the advice everybody..
    This gives me a lot of valid points to trouble shoot.
    Some I have already tried but many I have not.
    It's amazing of what could possibly be the problem.
    It's been a fun ride and I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Trevor, on the good side, I did learn a whole lot about the new systems and stuff. I used to be more "proactive" when I was in college, but I have since forgotten all that knowledge when I put together my system in November, my previous PC was a PII-300 and was at least 2-3 years old. Heck, I was pretty frustrated when I had to return my original motherboard twice to Newegg, it was a Shuttle AK31a, the first was simply bad, the second one didn't want to work with my video card. I am 75% sure it was a power supply because I got a new video card (a cheap Abit Geforce2 MX200 32MB) which didn't pass the POST in the working AK31a but is now working fine with my EPoX. The only things I changed were the motherboard and the power supply but unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to test the new power supply with the Shuttle so I couldn't verify that it was the MB or the PS.. Of course, another reason it took so long for me is that I bought it online in California and I live in NJ and also it was around the thanksgiving holiday so even though newegg would FedEx it overnight, it still took a bit of a turnaround between tests...

Jay

11. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

12. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Definitely try hooking up just the processor, one stick of ram and video card. If nothing still works then, you have it narrowed down to one of four componants. It sounds silly but double check the power connections I've solved alot of problems by plugging it in.

13. Trevor Schell

Hi!,,

I took the processor to a local computer center to have it tested.

The said it is a dead processor.

Kind of disappointed, but at least I now know what the problem is, which is a good thing.

I hope I can return this processor. I bought ordered it online on November 5 which is way past the 30 day exchange deadline.

I hope they will understand.

14. Trevor Schell

Well,,I learned a lesson.

Never buy computer parts unless you will be using them ASAP or can atleast test them out..

The AMD Processor was purchased on Nov 5 ,,however I did not start building my computer until the first week of January only to find the Processor is defective.

Premier Computer Canada located in Toronto,the store that I ordered the Processor from will not replace the processor or help at all in any way because the 30 day warrenty from purchase date is already expired.

I suspected this but figured I would call anyways in hopes that they would assist in taking care of my situation.

Bummer for sure.

15. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    That stinks Trevor, where did you get your CPU from? I got most of my parts from newegg.com, at least those that I didn't salvage from my previous PC. I too was pushing close to the 30 day CPU return policy and asked a CSR specifically about this cause I still didn't have a working PC about 22 days after my initial order. The CSR told me that the 30 day return policy is just that, a return policy, she told me I could still exchange the CPU if it was defective.

Turned out to be moot cause I got it to work just about a month after my initial order...

Jay

16. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

This may be cheating, but buy another of the exact CPUs and send it back a coupe days later. Then sell the second CPU and recover MOST of our loses.

Unless the have seria #s on them ... never checked.

Brent

17. Trevor Schell

Jay,

I bought the processor from Premier Computer Canada Online which is located in Toronto.

I bought a new one yesterday at a local computer shop.

I had to pay quite a bit more for it,but this one comes with a one year warrenty and they said that they would take good care of me should something happen.

Brent,

I am going to contact AMD and see what they will do for me..Worth a try anyways.

Not sure about the serial #'s

Just checked,,Yes they do have serial #'s

Actually they have two sets of #'s and both are different on the two chips.

18. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Brent, yes, CPUs most definitely have a Serial Number, alot of the AMD ones are only accessed if you remove the paste that comes on it but they certainly do have one. You'll also see that many online companies keep track of these serial numbers when they sell them just for such a sneaky act. Alot of them will even print them on the receipt for further protection. Whether they check them religiously on returns, I don't know but you're taking your chances... Might work better on a local B&M store than online?
    Trevor, at least you got it working though, when I got my PC up and running it was like giving birth, not that I'll ever have that experience, but the end result is a brilliant joy to actually get something to actually work! Makes you feel good to get a mishmosh of components and get them all together and working.
    [​IMG]
    Jay

19. Trevor Schell

Nope,
    Still not working yet.
    When putting in the new processor I broke my CPU fan.
    It won't run at all now.
    When I started the computer it was running, but the plastic fan was hitting the edge of the metal fan casing. This caused the fan to stop. It won't restart now.
    So I have to replace the fan now,then should be good to go.
    I don't want to try the processor without a fan.[​IMG]

20. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Definately don't run it without a HS/Fan. I always hate it when I get stung with a 30 day warranty (it's happened to me twice) since AMD does warranty OEM processors for 1 year (at least they did last time I checked), but only for authorized distributors. Lots of shops get them through other distributors and most of them only give a 20-30 day warranty. I will no longer buy a processor unless I can get at least a one year warranty.