Athena

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Murphy, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Paul Murphy

Paul Murphy Stunt Coordinator

I have been looking at these speakers. Are they any good compared to the jbl's. One of these.Speakers

2. Paul Murphy

They are both $229

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I haven't had the opportunity to hear them, but here's a review of the AS-B1. BTW, Athena Techologies is owned by API, parent company to Mirage and Energy.

4. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

I've only ever heard SCT Series Athena speakers. If I ever bought another pair of speakers for music, Athena would be on my short list. I also think that their speakers have one of the nicest build qualities for the price range. I don't think you can go wrong at that price.

Its a shame that not too many other forum members here either own or have listened to them. It would be great to get some other opinions on these speakers from people who have them.

Cheers,

5. mike_snazzy

mike_snazzy Extra

I have heard both athena and JBL and I would go with the athena if I were you

6. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I have lots of good things about these speakers but I have not heard them yet. I wish I had heard of them before I bought my Energy Connoisseurs. If you are interested in them check out this online store.
    The prices are better than the link you supplied and they are an authorized Athena dealer so there will be no warranty problems.

7. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I have heard lots of good things about these speakers but I have not actually heard them yet. I wish I had heard of them before I bought my Energy Connoisseurs. If you are interested in them check out this online store.
    The prices are better than the link you supplied and they are an authorized Athena dealer so there will be no warranty problems.

8. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

I don't like them. Way too colored in the midrange for my taste. Then again, I absolutely hate the Energy Conny line, which I also feel has the same problem.

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I heard the Athena SCT bookshelf models and the Energy Connoisseur bookshelf models. I went with the Energy C1.

10. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I also went with the Connoisseur C-1. I am currently using them as my rears. I could have saved a couple of bucks if I had gone with the Athenas, but since I had no experience with them I think I made a good choice with the C-1s.

11. Leonard B

Leonard B Stunt Coordinator

I have an all Athena Audition setup and as one of the reviewers said in one of the links above, these speakers are over engineered for the price. Even thought it's a cliche, these speakers give an excellent bang for the buck. If you pick them up at Futureshop, ask for a discount. I got my AS-B1's, which I use as surrounds in a 6.1 setup for $200 Cdn. Check out the Athena website and read up on the reviews in the press section.
    Hope this helps.

12. Paul Murphy

i was just looking at some acoustic research speakers------>
    they look to have good specs and they have a good rep as being a good company. Which is the better buy the athena's or the acoustic? My main reason for the speakers are movies. good crisp sounds.

13. Paul Murphy

any thoughs noo..

14. jad

jad Agent

Which AR model were you looking at?

15. Paul Murphy

AR 15 and i think the AR 5's the tower
    looking mainly for the bookshelfs

16. jad

jad Agent

Have not heard the boodshelves but did hear one of the towers. Smooth mids and highs but a bit undercontrolled bass. You could do worse. I believe AR is coming out with a new high end line in the spring. Have not heard the athenas.