Athena?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reid K, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering is this a good brand? Iam looking at speakers at this site: www.futureshop.ca
    Are there any other ones there that could be better for 500$? Iam hoping for some tower speakers also

2. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Never heard the athenas,but sound and vision gave the athena .5 htb system a glowing review.
    Good luck w/your speaker shopping and have fun.

3. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

I personally have no experience with Athenas but have read some very good reviews from several places like audioreview.com .

I've also been looking at Mission, Paradigm, Dahlquist and Wharfedale.
    As of now the Wharfedale Diamond 8 series and the Dahlquist QX series lead the way for me.
    There are many choices so I suggest you do your homework before you lay down your cash.
    Happy hunting.

4. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

do you think someone could go to that futureshop link I put up earlier and tell me the best front speakers they have there for 500?

5. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

The best way to shop for speakers is to listen to them. Really.
    Take some music you're familiar with (or some movies with certain scenes you're familiar with) and listen to the speakers. There are plenty of tips and guides about listening to speakers both in old posts here and on the web.
    Personally, I don't think that retail chains like FS and A&B are always the best places to go speaker shopping (well, FS just sucks in general but that's a different story [​IMG]). Let me amend that -- don't constrain yourself to just these stores. Try to check out Paradigm (a really popular brand on this board), for instance, or B&W or Mission ...
    Ultimately it is YOUR money that is being spent and it's most important that YOU are happy with your speakers. Loudspeakers make sound -- no amount of web-opinion or specsheeting will tell you if they sound any good.
    Okay, off my soapbox now. Hope I didn't come across as harsh... what I would do is this: try to obtain recommendations on speakers to try out from this board. Take a quick web-look for prices and specs and shortlist the stuff that you want to try out.
    Then go out and check the speakers out! Have fun!
    And write back and let us know what you wound up with, and what you didn't like about the stuff you didn't buy [​IMG]
    Happy shopping,
    J

6. MikeCooper

MikeCooper Extra

I was at futureshop not long ago and listened to some of their speakers, and I thought the Athena ASF1's we're pretty damn good for the money. They are $499.99 so I guess they meet your budget.
    Go check them out at the listening room, it is the only way to decide!
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...&newdeptid=10#

7. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

reid,
    the specs on speakers won't really tell what is the best sounding one. for that you need your ears, and i do mean YOUR ears. what sounds great to me might only sound ok to you or worse.
    i have read good things about the athena's but have never heard them myself. i guess they are good value for the money but they would be near worthless if you don't like how they sound. shop around, listen well and decide for yourself.

8. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Reid, you seem to be making the typical first timer error here.

You go to the "only" A/V shop in Town or on the web, future shop. Or at least that is what you think. I've made this mistake and I'm sure others have as well.

If you look around, you will be surprised what you can get elsewhere, for the same or less money. MUCH better quality, better customer service and you'll be more pleased.

Go take a listen, future shop has horrible setups to demo, go to a smaller store, they will guide you and help you. This is what you need.

I use to think I couldn't afford to get speakers from these speciality shops, now I know better, they can be LESS expensive!

Where are you located?

9. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

iam from edmonton

10. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

reid,
    from edmonton? there are lots of great audio/video stores in edmonton. try audio 5.1 on the south side. audio ark & audio plus are also very good. don't be scared of high end stores as they are a good place to learn. you can listen to the best and find the 'sound' that you prefer and then go search out that same 'sound' in less expensive models or brands. a&b sound on the south side has some nice equipment also. spend the time & listen well and you will be rewarded.