Athena -VS- Wharfedale

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Robert Pierce, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Robert Pierce

Robert Pierce Auditioning

Hello everyone [​IMG]

I have been doing some research on some new speakers, and I am very interested in the new Athena Micra 6 and the Wharfedale MovieStar 70 systems. I have seen lots of posts on how you should listen / audition everything but I have been unable to find a place to checkout the Athena Micra 6 speaker system. I have read several recommendations from posts and reviewers, so I am sure they are great. I did get to audition the Wharfedale MovieStar 70 speaker system. It was very impressive, and I am sure I would be happy with that system. I just don’t want to miss out on the Athena speakers if they are a lot better.

Any input on these speakers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Robert Pierce

I went to listen to the Wharfedale MovieStar 70 systems again today and was not as impressed. I still think it is a nice system, but I decided to check a few more speaker sets. I auditioned the Infinity Total Solutions 6-Speaker System (TSS750PLT) and the Polk Home Theater Speaker System (RM6700). I thought they both sounded better than the Wharfedale MovieStar 70 system. Although, this could be because I had to hear them at CompUSA, and they do not have things setup very well.

The Infinity and the Polk speakers sounded similar to me. I am leaning toward the Infinity because I feel the sub is better than the one CircuitCity was giving away with the Polk package. So, I think I am going to rule out the Wharfedale speakers and choose between the Polk and Infinity. I do wish that I could hear the Athena system, but I don’t know of any way to do that.

Comments welcome [​IMG]

3. Robert Pierce

I did not get any input from the forum, but that is OK. I did read many posts that were helpful, so I want to toss in my experience in the hopes that it may be of use to someone. [​IMG]

I was finally able to listen to the Wharfedale’s and the Infinity speakers in a side by side test. They both sounded great to me, and I knew I would be happy with either system. I found the Wharfedale’s to have a warmer sound and they were just a bit more pleasant to listen to. I was still somewhat concerned about how they would sound in my home, but I decided to buy them and try it out. Once I got them hooked up, I knew right away that I had made the right choice. I love the way these Wharfedale’s sound!