Athena vs Polk

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Scott Andrew, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Scott Andrew

Scott Andrew Stunt Coordinator

Ok so I just got my Pioneer 1014, and I have two new cerwin vega CLSC-12's for my front's (I know they aren't good for home theater but I needed them for parties) and I am getting the SVS PB10 subwoofer but now I have to decide on a center channel and rear surrounds. I was all set on the Athena ASC-1, and the Athena BS2's but then I saw the Polk CSi3 and the RTi4's... Does anyone have any ideas on these???

p.s. my room is 14 X 14

Thanx

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I had pretty much the same decision to make six months ago that you do now. I wound up with Polks 'cause I was able to get an open box a CSi6 for $189 to go along with a pair of RTi6's and RTi4's on sale. Plus, they threw in a 202 sub for free which I will sell cheaply or give away as soon as I find someone I like enough! Anyway, I always felt most center speakers were a little weak. The CSi6 has a fuller sound, especially for male vocals. But I was really impressed with the Athena's mid-range and excellent treble response for the price. Too bad they didn't offer a larger center channel option or I may have bought them instead. I do feel Polk RTi's are a little over-priced at full retail, but if you get a good price, they are a nice speaker. But what do I know? I drive a truck for a living! I have also been seriously considering getting a 1014 and moving my H/K 520 into another room. Very tempting.

3. Brian_Fly

Brian_Fly Stunt Coordinator

May or may not matter to you....polk Rti speakers have a wood veneer, which probably accounts for the price. I've had polks for over 4 years now and like their sound alot. On the other hand, I've heard good things about the Athena brand.