Athena vs Infinity: Centre Channel Edition

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Drew_W, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I have an Athena Audition (ASC1) and an Infinity Primus (PC25) centre channel hooked up to my H/K AVR225, one as the front left speaker, and one as the right. I'm using the balance L/R control to compare the characteristics of each speaker. Does this sound like a valid comparison? (as in would the centre channels be indicative of the general performance of the series, in terms of stuff such as brightness, even frequency response, etc. I really didn't feel like dragging anything more than 2 centres home with me [​IMG])

2. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

No! Use the centers one at a time in full 5.1 and placed where they will go in your HT setup. Listen to lengthy sections of familiar movies and see how the speaker comes across. The better of the two, in your system and to your reference listening levels should be obvious after a few auditions.

Rotating the balance knob without the other speakers and the 5.1 (all channels) on, will NOT give you a real perspective of how each one behaves within the total system.

JaimeB

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Yikes. There isn't a single store that carries both lines around Toronto that I know of, so I can't do a real A/B comparison, and I don't really want to drag both complete systems home with me to audition them. The real problem lies in that I don't really have a system to put them in. These speakers are just a *tad* larger than the Energy Take 5.2 setup that I have.

Auditioning the Athenas is easy at Future Shop, they have dedicated listening rooms that are relatively spacious. At Best Buy for the Primuses, you stand in a 5-foot wide aisle with the surrounds 2 feet behind your head, and the front towers a few feet in front of you at ground level. The whole setup isn't more than 6 feet wide. Any ideas on how to give this system a fair audition without dragging the whole 5.1 system home with me ?

4. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

Drew:

Quite a dilemma, and it appears you have been trying to decide on this for a few days now (from your previous day's post)!

Maybe you should shop with a dealer that will back what they sell 100% so that you can return if you are not satisfied. The CC demo, from your description, probably is terrible, so you can't really appreciate these new Infinity models (Primus just came out, I think).

With the two samples that you have at home, connect one at a time to the center channel cable, run scenes from a favorite movie in 5.1, and check for overall response especially nasality (voices), speech legibility (check which one you can understand dialog better) whether they will take well to powerful dynamic peaks (Saving Private Ryan, for example) without bottoming out . Check female voice with the Diva scene in 5th Element, etc.

This is what makes sense in your case. This is a compromise, but your best bet.

Let me know how this works out for you. Best of luck!

JaimeB