Athena volume issue

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by chris.Mark, Mar 21, 2005.

1. chris.Mark

chris.Mark Auditioning

I own the Athena AS-C1 and a pair of AS-B1s, as well as the remaining sub and rear surrounds from an old Sony HTiB. The problem I have is I am constantly turning the volume up to hear normal voices and then have to quicly lower the volume when the music or effects start. I have set the speakers to the same levels in the audio tests on my HE setup disk. Is this a normal problem? I am currently running a Yamaha AVR.

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

That's called "dynamic range"(the range between the highest and lowest recorded sounds.

It's fine, but if you are worried about leaving it louder turn on the "night mode" of you receiver/DVD player.

Brent

3. chris.Mark

chris.Mark Auditioning

Thanks. Does "night mode" keep the highest sounds lower? Not that I mind the increased volume, but I keep getting complaints from elsewhere in the house to "turn the thing down!"

4. BillyHC

BillyHC Agent

not to be cheeky, but the best solution to "Turn that f'ing thing down" is a nice pair of headphones. [​IMG]

5. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

the day you find me headphones that will give me 5.1 discrete channels, i will listen to that comment! but i know some recievers have options to limit the dynamic range on a dvd, RTM

6. John S

John S Producer

When it happens to me, I simply raise the center / dialog channel up some. I somewhat set my center (dialog) and Sub by source / content to taste and leave the rest truly calibrated.