Athena Technologies speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny Tse, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Anyone has any experience with Athena Techologies speakers? Athena is from the same company that produce Energy, Mirage, and Sound Dynamics. I'm very interested in their S1 or S2 bookshelf speakers, which can be "docked" with their powered subwoofer to become a powered tower speaker. Any opinions will be appreciated.

2. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I could be totally wrong, but I think that 'docking' mechanism was a little hokey... probably would require a lot of setup as far as maintaining stable crossovers. They do, however, come from an excellent family of speakers...
    ------------------
    McPaul.

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

The price for the S1/P1 satellite/powered sub combo is about $580.00/pair, which seems like a great deal. However, I have a small room and having 2 powered sub (however small) just seems like an overkill. Maybe going back to the JBL S26 with a separate powered sub.

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I think using a single sub optimally located in the room will lead to better response anyway(rather than 2 subs that must be locked into a predetermined position based on main L/R soundstaging).
    TV

5. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

wait, wait, where's bob_a ?
    we need his input on that Tom!!!
    [​IMG]
    no ,but seriously ,I think that they are responding to people who want to be able to build/upgrade their system over time and the mix-match nature of this product makes that easy....

6. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Matthew and Tom: I wasn't gonna get into that at all. Athena does cater to a key market of people who want easy upgradability, you might be paying a premium for the upgrade 'locks' they use, however like I said, they do come from a very good speaker family.
    ------------------
    McPaul.

7. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Oh yes, if you specifically want two subwoofers near each *main* speaker for whatever reason....they seem to be very good products. The recent list I posted showed the Athena combo to have much more potent bass capabilities then any of the other powered towers reviewed by TN.
    TV

8. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Now that I think about it, two bookshelf speakers paired with one single optimally-placed powered sub is going to be more than enough for me. Thanks everyone!