What's new

Athena surround speakers (1 Viewer)

Doug Schaefer

Auditioning
I'm considering Athena speakers for my home theater setup. Unfortunately, there are no dealers in my area. Onecall has a package deal which includes a Harman Kardon receiver and the following Athena speakers:

Athena ASB1 - bookshelf
Athena ASP400 - sub
Athena ASF2 - Floorstanding
Athena ASC1 - Center channel

Has anyone out there heard any of these speakers? I tend to like a brighter sounding speaker. For example, I've listened to the Paradigm Monitor 7s and they were not bright enough in my opinion.

I'm also considering the HTD Level III set-up (floor standing, bookshelves and center).

Any help is appreciated.

AdamCDN

Auditioning
Hey Doug, I am not sure if i can help you or not. I have heard the whole Athena AS lineup (API being a canadian company, they are easier to find here, best buy should be carrying nationwide down there soon). I found the Athenas sound like their sister Energy. Most of the Canadian companies speakers do have their own distinct sound. API products sound different from paradigm which sound different from totem, etc. I am not sure if you can find a dealer in the tri-state that might carry both Athena and Paradigm for a sound off. I know that Canadian made speakers are usually a better deal on our side of the border. Here are the prices in Canadian $'s from Future Shop (Best Buy bought future shop in 2001)

ASF1-$485 ASF2-$775 ASB1-$220 ASB2-$290 AS-P400-$485

A review I am sure you have probably read Athena Review

Hope that helped
Adam

AdamCDN

Auditioning
I forgot, they only dealers i could find in your area were:

RBC Cable in Lebanon, NJ, Franklin Communications in Nutley, NJ and Royal Green Appliances in White Plains, NY

Doug Schaefer

Auditioning
Thanks for the information. There's an Energy dealer near me. At least I can listen to the Energy speakers and get an idea if I will like the Athena's. Do you know if the Athena speakers are a completely separate line or are they "re-badged" Energy speakers. If the Athena speakers are not the "same" as the Energy speakers, do you know which line of speakers is supposed to be better?

Thanks.

Hey

I just purchased the AS-F1's (fronts), AS-B1's (rears) and the AS-C1 (center). I'm very impressed with these speakers with both music and HT. For the price, they can't be beat!! There is a dealer in Trenton, NJ (Rock Dreams )where I bought the AS-B1 and AS-C1. They don't carry the AS-F1 (bought mine at Audio Advisors ) or the AS-P400 (I bought a Def Tech sub - Pro Sub 100TL). They do carry the AS-F2 floorstanders and they sound great. I would have purchased them if I had a larger listening area.
Rock Dreams gave me great prices on the speakers, especially when I told them I was diving up from Maryland. Ask for John (I think he is the owner).

Doug Schaefer

Auditioning
Thanks for referring me to the Rock Dreams store in Mercerville, NJ. I listened to the Athena speakers and I was blown away by the clear, crisp sound. I've listened to the Paradigm montior series, Definitive Technology BP6s, and HTD level three's, and the Athena speakers not only sounded better, but they were also less expensive. Needless to say, I bought the Athena speakers. Here's what I purchased:

ASF2 - Floor standing
ASB1 - Bookshelf
ASC1 - Center Channel
Energy 10 - subwoofer

Rock Dreams gave me a great price also.

Doug

AdamCDN

Auditioning
Enjoy the Athenas, Doug. API makes some great products, I will be looking at the Athenas when looking for my new speakers. I hope you recieved a good deal on them, they are a great deal up here in Ontario.

Adam

Mark gas

Second Unit
I have the asb2 's and I fint that there good for ht but not so good for music because they sound really compressed like the real highs and the lows have been hacked off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks