Athena Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RyanCai, Mar 28, 2004.

1. RyanCai

RyanCai Extra

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to home theater & i've just been doing lots of research the past month or so.

I've listen to Paradigm Performance, Klipsch Sf2, Anthony Gallo's Micro Nucleus, JBL E80, & Bose.

For the price & sound i'm happy with the Athena's AS f-2 with the As-C1 centers. I'm not to sure about the rears..

Anyway BEST BUY is having somekind of promo for:
    Athena AS-F1
    Athena AS-P300
    Athena AS-C1
    Athena s.5 Sat
    Pioneer VSX812

All for $1,099.99

Does that sound like a good deal? The guy said i can upgrade the AS-F2's for $200 more & I can replace the Pioneer Vsx812with for a Yamaha 5590 for $300.

Also i have these really old Bose 901's do you think i can use those for my rears?

Thanks in advance

2. kevin-van

kevin-van Auditioning

instead upgrade from asf1 to asf2, and maybe try to get as-p300 to as-p400. i think that'd be a better upgrade.

3. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I, too, will second the upgrade to the AS-F2 speakers and a larger sub. The processing power between the 2 receivers will be pretty much the same. The Bose will be fine for the surround speakers, but I would invest in different rears if money is no factor.

4. Shane K

Shane K Agent

I also concur the upgrade to AS-F2's and the P400 sub. The P300 won't really add anything over what the F2's will offer by themselves. You may want to consider the AS-R1 surround speakers since they should be out within the next week or so. They complement the rest of the Audition series and are a deal at $100 a piece for bipoles.

Kinger

5. Jason Lu

Jason Lu Auditioning

i own the f2-s and p400 and they are both excellent for the money i highly reccomend them both!

6. kevin-van

kevin-van Auditioning

ASR1 is already out, had them for few weeks now, depending where you are I guess. I know you can get it for around $100US per speaker if you buy them in Canada, list price up here for a pair is $350CAD.

7. RyanCai

RyanCai Extra

Thanks to all, i'm going to upgrade to an As-f2 & P400 for the sub. So you Athena speaker owners, what's a good receiver for this setup? My budget is around $600. Will the Yahmaha 5590 work with these speakers? I read some post about problems with Athena speakers & Yamaha.

8. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Consider a low end Denon. Athenas top end is a little bright, and the use of a subwoofer will take the load off of the receiver so the Denon is a cool choice.

Marantz
    Harmon Karden

would also work well.

9. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

I have a low end denon and have Athenas for my front three. I love it.
    Only advice I can offer is this: don't do the bose (or any other) surround is you're going to be doing any decent musical listening. ESPECIALLY if it's SACD or HDTV. Go with the same line, same company. That way you're getting the same tweeter and very close mids.
    Take it easy, let us know how it all works out!

10. RyanCai

RyanCai Extra

Well i got my setup yesterday.

As-f2
    As-c1
    As-R1
    AS-P400
    Pioneer 5590 (Will return back, i just needed to test the speakers out.) Going to get the Pioneer RX-1400

Anyway, i'm quite pleased with my new setup. Just a few questions though.... What's this 50-100 hours of breaking in? Do you really need to play it in low volume for 50-100 hrs? What's the worse can happen if you dont?

AS-R1's vs AS-B1 or As-B2's
    So what's the difference? Are the As-R1's the right choice?
    Also what speaker stands can i use for the AS-R1's?

thanks in advance

11. kevin-van

kevin-van Auditioning

don't need speaker stands for ASR1, mount it on the wall, that's what they are for.