Athena speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Shawn N, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Shawn N

Shawn N Agent

Looking into purchasing the Athena point 5 MK II surround set ($400). Not sure which sub to go with yet. Will probably pair them with a denon 1804.

Would love to hear from people who have them. Welcome thoughts from people who don't own them as well.

2. Muhammed

Muhammed Agent

I haven't heard the Athena's but i've read a lot of reviews on them. From what I understand (might be wrong as to where they're manufactured) the Athena's are designed in Canada by API (Audio Products International) but the manufacturing is outsourced to keep costs down, they wanted a line that could be distributed at large retail chains at a relatively low cost. API is the manufacturer of both Mirage and Energy speakers. I've always been a fan or Mirage, but i'm not sure how the Athena's would compare (Mirage primarily does bipolar/omnipolar speakers, and Energy the higher end of their 'regular' speakers, I believe Athena is replacing Sound Dynamics), but given that they're designed by the same company, they *should* at least be respectable.

Buying speakers is very subjective. I think that many will agree the only way to decide is to take a broad range of music you're familiar with and listen to the various speakers you're comparing. What sounds good to someone else, may sound terrible to you.

If you can stretch the budget a little bit, I would also check out what pardigm has to offer, and also Axiom Audio. Axiom is internet only, but someone who owns them in your area may let you listen to them before you purchase, I personally haven't heard the axioms but have heard mirage and paradigm, and like the sound of both of them, but like I said earlier, it's all very subjective.

3. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Well, I just bought some ASB1s, and they rock. Very good sound quality for an extremely low price. I was also listening to the ASB2s which were also excellent.

If the point 5s are anything like the ASB1 in terms of quality for the price, they've gotta be good.

4. Shawn N

Shawn N Agent

bump