Athena SF-1/ 2 or PSB Image 4/5T for college room?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Joel Br, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Joel Br

Joel Br Auditioning

This is my first post here and I'm really hoping you guys can help me out. Well,I'm in the market for new speakers. I've sold my old surround sound system in hopes of having 2 floorstanding speakers running off a decent receiver. My room is 12.2x12.5 (inc. a bathroom Actual dorm room floorplan .) I am mainly into jazz, blues, a little R&B here and there, classical, and some modern upbeat stuff as well. I also plan on using these speakers with my tv and am hoping it will sound decent, I know it will be good enough for me.

Now I have narrowed my decisions down and suppose I have got these 2 speakers in mind for purchase within the week. I cannot audition the PSB's around here so I would love to hear some opinions on the way they sound preferably compared to the Athena's. The PSB's will cost me around $450 (used) shipped more than likely and the Athena's will run me around $432 (new). So help me out in my last attempt in finding the right speakers that I will be running without a sub in the dorm room at college.

*** Went back to Best Buy and listened to the AS-F2's and have decided I can wait another 2 weeks if that's what it takes to get them. So actually my question is how would the Image 4T or I guess maybe even the 5t's rate with the AS-F2's?

2. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

I find the Athenas to be very bright sounding, thus they probably sound good at a Best Buy. If it were me, I would get the PSBs, especially if you really want to listen to jazz. The PSBs are more laid back, but also much more accurate, IMHO.

3. Joel Br

Joel Br Auditioning

I noticed they were a little bright, but they were the best sounding at BB. hows the bass compare between the 2? I do want more laid back and natural sounding. I do want them to be able to get loud and pund at times as well. The 5t's would be a better buy over the 4t's you think? Where will the difference be?

4. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Oh my god, what college do you go to that you get a 12*12 room!?!? My single was 8*12. [​IMG]

As for your speakers, I liked the PSBs when I tested them out, but I've never heard the Athenas before, so I can't compare for you...good luck, and have fun having people always in your room since you'll have a nice setup. [​IMG]

5. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter