Athena Point5 6-Piece Surround Package

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jonathan Dagmar, May 28, 2003.

1. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

2. Steven Lanham

Steven Lanham Auditioning

I was hoping to see a number of replies as I have the same question.

Onecall has them for the same price but also offers a couple of package "specials" that combines the Onkyo TXSR600 for $950 or the HK AVR325 for $1,100. From what I've read, this seems like a pretty good deal.

I also found out that the Point 5 system is now available at Best Buy (try instore or online). They are labelled as Point 5 MKII. $500 for the five-piece set with a couple of options for the subwoofer ($300 and up). The subwoofer is different so I have to assume that the Point 5 you and I are looking at is last years models.

If you go to the Athena website, they provide a number of links to recent "awards" they have received from a number of maganizes. From what I've read, they are supposed to represent very good bang for the buck. However, reading about the quality of a product is not the same as listening.

Steven

3. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

You are in Chicago, so when you say the "same price" are you factoring in the exchnage rate? $799 Canadian is currently about $575 American. But I understand Athena is a Canadian company, so perhaps they have a higher mark-up for US sales.

I have recently been hearing quite good things about them as well. Only thing is I wish they were black, I don't like silver. COme to think of it, I wish my tv was black too. I really hate this silver binge manufactuers are on.

4. Adam Ray

Adam Ray Auditioning

Well I recently just purchased the athena as-f1 and the center channel from best buy. I waited to test the fronts out before purchasing the rears as-b1. Needless to say I will be completing my athena package this weekend by picking up the rears. I am really impressed with the price and the WOW factor that these speakers have given. If the package you are looking at getting is anywhere close to what I purchased you wont be dissappointed.... Just make sure its the right sound for you.

5. Steven Lanham

Steven Lanham Auditioning

Jonathan: No, I didn't factor in the exchange rate so they really aren't the same price are they. Sorry - my fault.

This package is on the top of my list at this time based on the very impressive reviews. I hope to listen soon and make a final decision.

Cheers!

Steven

6. Neil Campbell

Jonathon, I assume you looked at the customer reviews at the Futureshop link above. They aren't very detailed or specific but they are all positive (people sure seem to like the wall mounts!!).

These are the speakers that are likely to go with my upcoming inaugural HT purchase. I have yet to hear them but I also have yet to hear anything negative about them. However, I will be listening to very little music with mine so the finer points of the sound may be lost on me (I'm no audiophile).

It does appear they don't make this model any longer, only the new Point 5 MKII, which just means we should be able to get a good deal on them at our friendly, neighbourhood Futureshop.

7. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

I have four all-black Athena S.5's in my HT. I'm currently looking for an all-black C.5 center speaker, but it looks like retqilers only like to sell the complete package.

8. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

"I have four all-black Athena S.5's in my HT. I'm currently looking for an all-black C.5 center speaker, but it looks like retqilers only like to sell the complete package."

Check Best Buy I heard they sell the center speaker for about 170.00

9. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Yes they do, but not the C.5, which is the matching center speaker for the S.5's [​IMG]