Athena Point 5 versus JBL

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Neil Campbell, May 26, 2003.

1. Neil Campbell

I am new to this (home theater and Home Theater Forum) and I think I may be operating on a budget and quality level below what I see being discussed here. However, perhaps someone if familiar enough with this equipment to comment.

I'm looking at my first system that will probably include a Sony DVD player (725S), a middle of the road Yamaha receiver (HTR-5550)and a 50" Toshiba wide screen TV.

I'm trying to decide between the Athena Point 5 system (old model that includes the subwoofer) and the JBL SCS135 system. They both seem to get excellent reviews (audioreview.com, epinions,...)but the JBL is much smaller and significantly less expensive. I like the idea of the speaker stands for the Athena that I can move anywhere in the room.

The system will be used half for cable TV and half for movies with maybe 10% music (the number don't add up but you know what I mean).

Any experience with either of these speaker systems? Thanks.

Neil C.

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I've got the Energy Take 5's and I love them both the Energy's and Athenas are manufactured by the same parent company in Canada. I've not listened to the point 5's but I hear they're damn near as good as the Takes are. I myself am not a JBL home speaker fan but thats just me, many people sware by them almost as much as Bose but at least JBL is deserving of the following they have. I think you would greatly enjoy the Athena's, I know when I was looking for speakers I considered Athena for a while then I went and listened to Energy again as I'd not heard any in years and fell back in love so I bought some. [​IMG]

3. Neil Campbell

Thanks for the response. I might just track down some Energy's and have a listen.

4. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

If you're looking at JBL's Studio line of speakers, I personally run a 5.1 setup with them from a Denon receiver and have no problem. I've enjoyed them since the day I received them.

I'm not yet too familiar with bright or warm contrasts as I've done no major hifi demoing (is that a word?). However, I can say that I'm happy with the clarity and I think if I replaced my PB10 with an SVS PCi, I'd love them even more. From Classical music to the opening scene of Swordfish, they don't miss a beat.

On that note, listen to them both and more. Get what you enjoy. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I have heard the Athena's and they are worth the money, they sound excellent! The subwoofer they provide goes fairly deep I was really surprised. The JBL package that you are talking about is in a different category. I think you would be better with the Athena's. The Take 5.1 system by energy is smaller than the athena's as well but I would compare the 2.

6. JeremyFr

Also for the JBL fans I wasn't JBL bashing though my post could have come across as I was was just stating I dont personally like them I think they sound good but there are things about the sound I dont like and more than anything I dont like there aesthetics.

7. Neil Campbell

Jeremy, is it the Energy Take 5.2 system you have or the Take 5+1? I'm not sure of the difference (quality, sound, price). I have only seen the Take 5+1 where in the shops around here.

8. Denis K

Denis K Agent

I listened to the Athena Point 5s last week and thought they sounded great -- especially for the money. I compared them with the Energy Encores (up the line from the Take 5s) and thought they compared quite favorably. There was a difference in sound, but it would be personal prefernce as to which sounds "better". I should mention that the listening room and setup made it difficult to do a really accurate comparison, but still it was good enough that I feel comfortabl emaking the statement above.

9. JeremyFr

I have the 5+1's the difference between the 2 is price the 5.2's are a little more pricey have an upgraded midbass driver and are ported so they yeild a better low frequency response than the 5+1's. other than that same speakers, that and the 5.2's you buy the sub seperate.