What's new

Athena Point 5 versus JBL (1 Viewer)

I am new to this (home theater and Home Theater Forum) and I think I may be operating on a budget and quality level below what I see being discussed here. However, perhaps someone if familiar enough with this equipment to comment.

I'm looking at my first system that will probably include a Sony DVD player (725S), a middle of the road Yamaha receiver (HTR-5550)and a 50" Toshiba wide screen TV.

I'm trying to decide between the Athena Point 5 system (old model that includes the subwoofer) and the JBL SCS135 system. They both seem to get excellent reviews (audioreview.com epinions,...)but the JBL is much smaller and significantly less expensive. I like the idea of the speaker stands for the Athena that I can move anywhere in the room.

The system will be used half for cable TV and half for movies with maybe 10% music (the number don't add up but you know what I mean).

Any experience with either of these speaker systems? Thanks.

Neil C.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I've got the Energy Take 5's and I love them both the Energy's and Athenas are manufactured by the same parent company in Canada. I've not listened to the point 5's but I hear they're damn near as good as the Takes are. I myself am not a JBL home speaker fan but thats just me, many people sware by them almost as much as Bose but at least JBL is deserving of the following they have. I think you would greatly enjoy the Athena's, I know when I was looking for speakers I considered Athena for a while then I went and listened to Energy again as I'd not heard any in years and fell back in love so I bought some. ;)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
If you're looking at JBL's Studio line of speakers, I personally run a 5.1 setup with them from a Denon receiver and have no problem. I've enjoyed them since the day I received them.

I'm not yet too familiar with bright or warm contrasts as I've done no major hifi demoing (is that a word?). However, I can say that I'm happy with the clarity and I think if I replaced my PB10 with an SVS PCi, I'd love them even more. From Classical music to the opening scene of Swordfish, they don't miss a beat.

On that note, listen to them both and more. Get what you enjoy. :emoji_thumbsup: :) :emoji_thumbsup:

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I have heard the Athena's and they are worth the money, they sound excellent! The subwoofer they provide goes fairly deep I was really surprised. The JBL package that you are talking about is in a different category. I think you would be better with the Athena's. The Take 5.1 system by energy is smaller than the athena's as well but I would compare the 2.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Also for the JBL fans I wasn't JBL bashing though my post could have come across as I was was just stating I dont personally like them I think they sound good but there are things about the sound I dont like and more than anything I dont like there aesthetics.

Jeremy, is it the Energy Take 5.2 system you have or the Take 5+1? I'm not sure of the difference (quality, sound, price). I have only seen the Take 5+1 where in the shops around here.

Denis K

Agent
I listened to the Athena Point 5s last week and thought they sounded great -- especially for the money. I compared them with the Energy Encores (up the line from the Take 5s) and thought they compared quite favorably. There was a difference in sound, but it would be personal prefernce as to which sounds "better". I should mention that the listening room and setup made it difficult to do a really accurate comparison, but still it was good enough that I feel comfortabl emaking the statement above.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I have the 5+1's the difference between the 2 is price the 5.2's are a little more pricey have an upgraded midbass driver and are ported so they yeild a better low frequency response than the 5+1's. other than that same speakers, that and the 5.2's you buy the sub seperate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks