Athena Point 5 or Paradigm Cinema or Take 5 help (also Toronto area people needed)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JonathanC, Feb 4, 2002.

1. JonathanC

JonathanC Auditioning

Hey guys, newbie here,

I have decided to choose one of these small home theater setups, the problem is I can't find any location to demo these speakers in my area Markham/Scarborough(Toronto, Markham, Pickering, Richmond Hill, Woodbridge, even Hamilton are all locations I would drive to and any area in between). Also I'd like to know if anyone has listened to the new Athena point 5 speakers, more specifically the sub. It looks kinda weak at 75w and that is the only thing holding me back on this set. Also any comments on the other speakers subs would be greatly appreciated. I want nice tight bass, good blending and it should be able to sound awesome in a 10x18ft room. I know that any one of these sets are going to sound nice(from the messages I've read), the major factor for me now is which one has the best sub. Thanks

Jonathan

2. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I have demoed the Energy Take 5.2's and like them. I like the Energy Encore set better though. I don't care for the Paradigm Cinema line at all, and I own all Paradigm Reference for my HT system. Athenas I have never demoed.

3. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I have heard the Cinema series. I don't know about the others but the Cinema series is a pretty good value. Are prices the same? If smallness of the speakers is important than Cinema series will serve you well. I think the Cinema series center speaker and sub is great. I think you will find better speakers in the other systems but have a lesser sub for the price. I haven't listened to any others however. I wasn't blown away by the Cinema series but the center channel and sub did surprise me.

4. JonathanC

JonathanC Auditioning

Yes, I'm going for a small speaker setup, I'm looking to spend approx 1000 cdn give or take a couple hundred but no more. The speakers are more or less around the same price, I've seen the Athena for 1050cdn and the paradigm for 1399!! I thought the paradigm cinema (with sub pdr 8) only went for around 900 -1000 cdn?? Can anyone confirm how much these are really going for in Canada.

5. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

I purchased 4 Atoms, a CC170 and a PDR-10 from Fairwiew Hi-Fi in Burlington about a month ago for a total of $1000 Canadian. I would think that this is a much better setup than the Cinema series. The CC170 is fairly big, but the Atoms are relatively small. They do look great in Light Cherry though. Fairview Hi-Fi is right down the street from Ikea in Burlington. If you want anything from Paradigm, Fairview Hi-Fi is the way to go!![​IMG]

6. Luke Zhang

Luke Zhang Extra

Hey Jonathan

Where did you go and demo your speaker selection? I live in the Scarborough and I don't know any other stores other than Future Shop and Audio 2001. I was thinking about getting the JBL NSP1 series but couldn't find the place to buy it.

What speakers did you end up buying?

7. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Of the packages mentioned, John_E's recommend package will probably be the best. The Atoms are a bit larger than your typical micro speakers, but not by much. Also, you can get the Energy Encore package for $975 USD ($1400 CND?) online. That is IMO about the best package of micro sized speakers on the market.

8. JonathanC

JonathanC Auditioning

Luke:
    That's the same problem I have, I live in Markham and I can't find any decent place within 30 minutes or I don't know where to look, this is why I'm asking people if they know of a store or have had listened to any of them.
    Eric: That would come out to 1500 cdn + about 600 in duty charges, if you know of a way to get by the duty I would consider [​IMG]
    JohnE: I am very interested in that combo now, looks like I will have to plan the 1hr trip to Burlington, how is your experience with the setup?, how is the sub? Is it accurate and not overly muffled? Sorry for all the questions

9. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

I am extremely pleased with this setup. The sub is excellent for movies and very good for music. It is not boomy, thump your chest bass, but I really don't like that anyway. I would definitely get the PDR-10 over the 8. I've only had it a month, so I haven't done all of the tweaks. However, the first movie we watched was Swordfish, and the explosion at the beginning was absolutely incredible. I really couldn't have spent $625US any better.

10. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

Sorry--I forgot to mention that I got the V2 Atoms and CC170. The V3 may be a little more expensive, but I don't think that it's too much more. You may even get a better deal if you can find the V2's anywhere. Also--There's another good store that may be closer to you in TO. I think that it's called Whitby Audio. Burlington was a lot closer to me in the States, but if I was going to go all the way to TO, I was going to go there.

11. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Luke and Jonathon,
    As both you fellas live in roughly the same neck as I, here's what I advise (and remember, my advice is worth exactly what you've paid for it [​IMG] ): take a couple of hours going door to door on what is referred to as Furntiure Alley (the stretch on Kennedy Road, between Ellesmere and Lawrence). Tons of dealers here. Some you may wish to do business with, others perhaps not, but at you least can kick some tires, right? Jonathon, I believe there is a clear-out location of 2001 AudioVideo or Hifi 2000, (one or the other; I get 'em confused) on the east-side of Kennedy, immediately north of Ellesmere, that was selling Athena speakers last time I was there (admittedly, a couple of years ago, but it may be worth the effort if you elect to go with the Athenas). If you're having difficulty locating the Athenas, why not call API, the parent company? They're located on McNicoll Ave , phone (416) 321-1800.
    Both of you dudes may want to try Musonic, pleasant people with whom to do business, located in the great big purple building on the south side of Kingston Road, east of Morningside. They cater mainly to the higher-end, but I know that they do carry a few PSB models in your price range, namely, the new PSB Alpha Intro line, in addtion to the Image and Stratus lines. You may even be able to find a pair of the older, discontinued Alpha A/V, reputed to be an excellent bookshelf model, tho' I've not heard it myself. As for John's suggestion of trekking to Fairview Hi Fi in Burlinton: I've got a pal who just bought a Toshiba 50H81 rptv there over the weekend, and he sez it was a positive shopping experience (and for $4500CDN, it oughtta be!!), but I think it may be a better idea for guys located in our area to take a shorter trip in the opposite direction to Whitby Audio, as John has also suggested. The store is just north of the 401 on Brock Street. They carry both PSB and Paradigm, and in all price ranges, I believe, although it may be worth spending a buck on a long-distance call to ensure their stock has what you're looking for.
    Lastly, for Luke: check out www.nbtelectronics.com, located in Mississauga and run by JohnnyG, a member of this very forum. You can visit his shop, or have products shipped to your door. He sells JBL, among others, but I'm unsure as to whether he stocks the NSP1 series; a phone call couldn't hurt.
    Best of luck, guys. Cheers!
    DS.

12. Luke Zhang

Luke Zhang Extra

Hey Dave:

First, thanks for your good advice.

I checked out JohnnyG's site, JBL NSP series = 650.00Cdn. Though at Buy.com they are 250.00US. I wish we had more online Electronic stores like they do in the US. Maybe would be a good business venture. What I don't understand is that Canada is so close to US, why haven't these giants online stores made their marks already.

I may make a trip there this weekend. I wonder if he is a credible fella. Would be nice if I could also get the speakers closer to Buy's after the exchange rate.

13. KevinGS

KevinGS Stunt Coordinator

If you guys are looking for highly regarded speakers, check out Axiom Audio .
    They get excellent reviews(check those out on their site too) and are Canadian made.
    I have their M80, VP150 and QS8 and listened to some of their others and they are very precise sounding with great soundstage.
    They have HT packages in your price range and dealers in the area, check out the site and call ahead to make sure.
    good luck

14. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Luke,

Judging by JohnnyG's various posts on this forum, I think it would be safe to say that he's a credible fellow; I wouldn't have any qualms about doing business with him. I'm sure that if you speak to Johnny and make him a reasonable offer for the JBLs, the two of you will be able to reach an agreement.

As for ordering your JBLs from an American site, if it was me, I'd think twice. I agree that the price difference is somewhat perturbing, but I'm not sure that the hassles and risks of American mail-order are worth it. You may be dinged by duties at the border, and there may be a brokerage fee charged by the shipper; I can't say for sure one way or the other. Do a search through the forum for more info regarding products crossing the border. Also, the warranty on the JBLs may not be valid once the speaks come into Canada, and additionally, I don't imagine that you want to deal with the head-aches you'd experience if the speakers were defective out of the box, and/or damaged in transit. All of these difficulties may never come to pass; all of these difficulties could come to pass. I think the peace-of-mind that one gets from purchasing from a local brick-and-mortar dealer is worth the extra scratch, but that's just me.

Cheers!

DS.

15. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Hey Kevin,

I'm thisclose to pulling the trigger on a pair of M60s and a VP-150 later this week. The M60s, I have no doubt, will be great (already own M3s, fantastic!!), however, the VP-150 concerns me. To wit, the M60s are a reflex design, whereas the VP center is acoustic suspension. Axiom says they're intended to match, but I'm just not sure that sounds right. Comments, sir? Also, do you own the older VP model (mid-tweet-mid-tweet-mid configuration) or the newer SE (tweet-mid-mid-mid-tweet)? Cheers!

DS.

16. KevinGS

Dave

I have the older VP150 (dealer demo) and the M80ti SE. I just might get a new matching Boston Cherry, but there are other things I'd rather purchase first.

I believe what they mean by matching is the tweets and mids match since the VP150 doesn't have any woofers so the design does not have that much effect on those frequencies (if I am wrong, it certainly doesn't sound bad, in fact quite accurate).

Where are you getting them from?

Kevin

17. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Kevin,

Thanks for your reply, mate. I would be getting the speakers from Replay Electronics on The Queensway. Spoke to George over the phone yesterday, he said he'd just ordered further stock for delivery today or tomorrow. BTW, he sells only the blemished models of Axiom speakers, to keep the price low, I assume. He said I could open the cartons and inspect them for myself. Say, do you know of any other Axiom retailers in the GTA? These speakers are a real bitch to find locally, I think, but worth the effort! Cheers.

DS.

18. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    For Paradigm check out East Hamilton Radio
    http://www.easthamiltonradio.on.ca/
    something like
    Fronts - Titans
    Center - CC170
    Surrounds - Atoms
    for Energy, i bought all my gear at Bay Bloor Radio
    http://www.baybloorradio.com/
    Energy Take 5.2
    or
    Energy XL line - this is what i have
    Fronts - XL16 - $350.00
    Center - XLC - $250.00
    Surround - XL15 - $199.00 or XL16
    Sub - XL8.2 - $399.00
    I love the Energys, but I also like the Paradigms that my friend has (purchased from East Hamilton - salesman Dave)
    Have fun shopping

19. KevinGS

Dave

Did you get my email?

20. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Kevin,

Yes, I did, and in fact, YGM. Cheers!

DS.