Athena P6000?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by billybob_jcv, Jun 22, 2005.

1. billybob_jcv

billybob_jcv Stunt Coordinator

Anyone heard the new Athena P6000 sub?

2. SummyD

SummyD Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered one... will let you know my experience when it arrives... my reasons for choosing - the specs look good on paper... the price was right... its compact and good-looking (I do care about the looks)... plus I have Energy speakers (sister company) and have been happy with them [​IMG]

3. billybob_jcv

Great! I'm looking forward to your review!

4. SummyD

SummyD Stunt Coordinator

I finally got my Athena as-p6000 sub yesterday. The fedex truck arrived late at 8pm after I had given up all hope [​IMG] Took me no time to unpack and install it, since I was replacing an existing sub (a basic Yamaha YST-106) using an RCA connection. The sub looked pretty huge compared to the replacement. As a result, my wife wasn't happy to see another big black box in the family room.

After listening to the receiver's test tones, I played Tarzan II that my son was watching before and was pretty impressed by the rumbling. I didn't raise the volume more than -45db since I had a sleeping kid upstairs. But even this was enough to shake the couch I was sitting in, 18 feet away from the sub. I liked that because my room is 16*20 with a slanted ceiling going up to 20 ft. The room is partially open to kitchen in the front and a loft on the side. I also watched a few scenes of Gladiator after that and was more than satisfied with the bass response. Also, I think it has great styling with pewter feet and a silver accent on the front.

I still have to calibrate the sub, but my first impression is that this down-firing sub is really powerful and can go deep with ease. I just wish it had a phase switch as another feature. Other than that, I am really happy with it! Good work, Athena!

5. SummyD

SummyD Stunt Coordinator

Forgot to mention that I kept the receiver crossover at 100KHz (since that's the lowest available), the sub's at its highest point. I want to keep all my speakers Small in the AVR settings but that makes a lot of undesired sounds go to the sub, so may end up making the fronts large with the Sub set to Plus.

6. billybob_jcv

We must live in the same house & also have the same receiver. Pioneer, right? I have the same problem - limited to 100 Hz sub crossover, and mains that will go down to 52 Hz. It sounds like I will have to keep the P-6000 on the list... [​IMG]

7. SummyD

SummyD Stunt Coordinator

Interesting coincidence, billybob [​IMG] Yep, I got a Pioneer as well - VSX509. My next planned upgrade is their 1015. From seeing the manual I know it goes down to atleast 80Hz, so that's better.

Maybe you can audition the p6k when its available at Bestbuy. But I would certainly keep it on the list, especially if you want to spend < $300 on your sub.

8. SummyD

SummyD Stunt Coordinator

Looks like I praised the sub too soon [​IMG] it seems to have stopped responding. See my other thread on this issue.