What's new

Athena Micra vs. JBL 300.7 (1 Viewer)

Alan Riddick

Auditioning
Hey all,
First post and wanted to say how helpful I've found this forum so far. It has pointed me in quite a few directions to find components that fit my needs.

I'm needing a few opinions from those that know speaker systems. This is my first HT system, not even really a HT. I'll be installing this in our living room, which has hardwood floors (will be getting a rug approx. 10'x12' soon). Since it's going into the living room, I'm wanting something that looks good as well as sounds nice. I don't need earth-shattering bass and all that, but it would be nice to turn it up once in a while to rearrange the pictures on the walls.

With all that said: I'm getting an Onkyo 801 because I like the network option to hook to the PC. Mainly it will be used for movies though. Even if I get a 7.1 speaker system, I'm not sure I'll use all 7 at first, but I will definitely use the second room option with some speakers in the ceiling/outside.
So that's why I'm tossing between these two sets. They are both attractive to look at, and I REALLY like the smaller size of the Athena Micra system. The JBLs might be bigger than what I want, but I also want quality and they are a much more recognized name (by me). I will probably use wall mounting.

Long post, but wanted to show where I'm coming from.

Thanks in advance,
Alan

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Alan:

I just wanted to take a minute to invite you to join the 'Alan' club of Magnepan enthusiasts. If you take a moment to read the thread entitled 'Maggie Update' you'll find all the info you need. We currently have an opening for an 'R', so you'd fit right in.

Good luck with your HT!

-Z

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The network feature is a nice thing to have, but that receiver is WAY overkill for either of those sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks