Athena Micra vs complete set of B1's

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MikeDE, May 20, 2005.

1. MikeDE

MikeDE Stunt Coordinator

I have a gift certificate at Best Buy burning a hole in my pocket. Here's the current either/or: a set of Athena B1's all the way around for 6.1, with a not so good sub I already have, or the Micra 6 with a better sub (and an extra speaker for the center rear I can pick up from Amazon). Both come out to about the same price. Can the B1's be wall mounted if I go that way, and will one make a good center? They're going into a medium living room and will be mostly used for movies.

Thanks for any advice!

2. charles j

charles j Auditioning

I am on my first week of trying out micra 6 in a 20 by 20 room with 13ft cath. ceiling, They sound great, sub surprised me, I thought it would be week but it really puts out some air, I bought this as a temperary setup and the way they sound i will be in no hurry to upgrade...

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The current Athena B1's might be on clearance right now while they make room for the new models (just an asthetic redesign, same sound, same components)...

i know they have the B1's goin for $120CAD at BestBuy/FutureShop here...

4. AngeloEug

AngeloEug Stunt Coordinator

Having owned and still currently own the B1's...go B1's without a doubt.

Both are really commendable performers however, like most, you'll probably end up dumping the M225 for a larger sub later anyway.

Get yourself the B1's and don't look back for their current price @ BB they're a steal.

If you NEED to wallmount, the B1's prolly won't cut it for you, they are a rear ported speaker and need some clearance.

Besides that, they are not tiny like the Micras and can be difficult to "blend" with the room hanging out on the walls.

Either is a great choice but if you can swing the B1's I'd go that route then just save up for the sub later on. Also, you might consider the new P4000 (the m225's big bro on 'roids) as another possibility. You could get 2 pairs of B1's instead of 3 and use the leftover giftcard towards the purchase of a P4000 at BB.

HTH

5. MikeDE

MikeDE Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the input. I'm leaning toward the B1's, but placement is bugging me. I have high back sofa, and would need to find some really tall cheap stands, or put something under them to bring them up. Otherwise, I'm afraid they will be muffled. One other question: the Onkyo receiver puts out 75 watts per channel. Is this going to be enough to handle the B1's that take up to 125 watts?

6. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

I'd just build some basic speaker stands for a fraction of the price you could buy them in the store for.
    I'm sure you'll be fine with your Onkyo receiver. Might be a little underpowered but i'm sure you wont regret your decision if you go with the B1's.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  8. MikeDE

MikeDE Stunt Coordinator

NickSo...my apartment's living room is decent size, but my old small Denon speakers filled it well, so the B1's should do OK. My concern was that not having higher wattage would cause problems with the speakers. If your small amp does fine, then the Onkyo should do fine, too.

So, advice given here is being taken. Since it sounded like either system would be good, I'm picking up the B1's, pair by pair, as they seem to be a slightly better deal. I think the stand problem may be easier to get around than I was thinking, too. The local Best Buy had one open box pair of B1's, so got those with the 30% off coupon to sweeten the deal. They are having another pair sent in from another store. I'll be travelling Monday to a city where I saw an open box pair last week, so will take another discount coupon and hopefully they will still be there (gotta save some bucks when possible). Hooked up the pair I got last night for fronts, and already there is a big difference. By the end of next week all six should be online, and I can't wait. I'll keep using the old Denon sub, and take Angelo's advice to hopefully get that better sub sometime down the road (when it's open box with 30% coupons[​IMG]).