athena micra 6, can you substitute any sub in this system?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by charles j, May 15, 2005.

1. charles j

charles j Auditioning

any help would be appreciated?

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Yes, but you'll probably need to crossover at between 100 and 120 Hz.

Brent

3. charles j

charles j Auditioning

I'm new to all this but learning as go. I can't spend to much but I got some great deals so far,refub infocus 4800 for 499.00 on woot with 90 day infocus warr., refurbished onkyo TX-SR602 for 239.00 from J&R Music. micra 6 for 299.00 from one call and da-lite 80 by 60 matt-white screen with csr for 214.00, the micra 6 I bought to tide me over for a year or 2 till I can afford something better, but it would be nice to add a better sub like the svs pb10 that everyone seems to be raving about.

4. AngeloEug

AngeloEug Stunt Coordinator

I can heartily suggest the Micra6 system. Being a previous owner I had many enjoyable hours of HT and Music. I did end up upgrading the sub. I went from an older CV pwr-12ht (still ranks on T Nousaine's list) to a Velo DPS-10, to an Athena P400 to an SVS pb-10.

IN MY ROOM (this is in caps for a reason), I could never really get the SVS to integrate well with the Micras. I crossed over at 80hz, anything above that and it was way too easy to localize the sub. Surprisingly, 80 was a great match for the micras however my room exhibited an 80hz bump/exaggeration. My bass became too boomy. If the SVS had an adjustable x-over I would have done so at about 65-70Hz to play off of the bump and take advantage of the roll-off. These were my only feasible x-over points via my Pio 1014, 50Hz was the next possible freq. and it was just too low for the micras to play all the rest of the info on their own.

Again, this was in MY ROOM. Your's may likely have different harmonics but placement of my SVS is limited to one area only and hence my unsatisfactory blend.

I had great success with the Velo DPS-10 blending extremely well to the Athenas. They "almost" sounded like a very large tower of sound with my eyes closed. My only dislikes about the DPS was the fact that it's level was electronic and there were no "indicators" of db settings. I hated that. But overall, I really liked that sub. I found one open box at Circuit City for $299 out the door. I think that with the Micras, a vari x-over is vital, the micras are easy to blend with and put out impressive sound in that niche. I was equally impressed with the M225 sub that came with the micras as it was tight and gave impressions of a much larger sub for most musical info above 30Hz.

There are tons of subs out there...if you can, take some home, tune them, calibrate, tweak, and try different placements if your room allows.

The micras will surprise you if they already haven't; especially with a larger sub.

HTH, if not feel free to ask me specific questions! I'm happy to answer.

Good luck!

5. AngeloEug

Oh, before I forget, the pb-10 IS AN AMAZING SUB. On it's own, running several tests, sines, sweeps and musical, have proven it to be fast and furious down to 15hz in my case. Usable output from a single 10" driver to 15hz is nothing short of amazing.

For me, it just doesn't work well in my room with the placement and other speakers...but as an aside and to answer your questions; BELIEVE THE HYPE!

6. charles j

charles j Auditioning

Angelo, Thanks for the reply and info. I'm glad the experts are out there to help us novice's out, great site to get some answers.. thanks again, Charles

7. AngeloEug

Anytime Charles. I agree, thank goodness for this forum and the helpful eyes and ears on here.

Without this place, I'd surely have a bank account.