What's new

ATHENA F2 REPLACEMENT - Whats the next diamond in the ruff speaker? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator
Curious as to what everyone thinks is the current or next great speaker, low priced. I believe it is safe to say the ATHENA F2 held this , for an average price of $400 offered truly great results. I am curious , as to any other speakers that can provide the same time of detail and fullness, close to the same price range? The new F2.2 sounds to be upsetting that they are lowering the quality and mdf thickness perhaps to save cost, but yet still charging the same amount. shame

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
EPOS ELS3 actually costs less and will likely sound better. The only problem is they have a fairly low sensitivity and are 4 Ohm, so despite their low price of $300/pr, they will require a receiver/amp that is above their price would suggest.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"lowering the quality and mdf thickness perhaps to save cost"

Where did you here this? as far as I know only cosmetic stuff was done in the upgrade!

Brent

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator

$499?

This is truly more money for a product which isn't even the same as the original F2. Shame shame shame.

I purchased the ORIGINAL F2's for $349 at amazon, brand new. Shipped!

:thumbsdown:

BillyHC

Agent
IIRC, the original F2's went for $600/pair at launch and slowly drifted down to the $400/pair price point, eventually dropping to below that right before they announced the F2.2's...

Greg Thomas

Second Unit

The price definitely wasn't $349 when the F2's debuted back in 2002. I remember them being $599 everywhere with no discounts to be found, especially after the glowing
Stereophile Review!

When did you buy your F2's?

I just bought a set of original F1's for $100/pr but I guarantee the new model won't debut at that price.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
That original Audition line was killer. I'm running three F1's and a pair of R2 in my HT, and a pair of F2's in my living room. The new 6000 sub looks interesting, 12" driver, BASH amp, dual ports.
That Audioholics thread is funny.

"It appears that some who once enjoyed Athena F2's, will have to move on to other speakers. "
Why...must they be periodically replaced?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks