Athena F2.2 ???

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by AndrewLevine, Mar 29, 2006.

1. AndrewLevine

AndrewLevine Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for a good sounding 2.0 system on a budget, and is used 95% for music and I am interested in good, strong, clean bass. Does anybody have any experience with the Athena F2.2 speakers? They seem have have a fair price and a good freq response.

Thanks for your time,
    Andrew

2. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

Price range? room size? type of music and how willing are you to go hunting for the right speakers?

3. AndrewLevine

I would prefer to spend less than $500 in a medium sized room. Being a college student its not easy for me to go out easily and travel very far for speakers. My listen to everything from classical, to rock, and even rap at times.

does anyone own Athena F2's or F2.2's that can comment on their sound quality?

4. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

The F2 is a great speaker for its price but like all massive floorstanders will need good quality current to sound its best. I heard it powered by a cheap Yamaha receiver and it sounded thin and bright; with a NAD integrated it was a totally different speaker.

So if you have an entry-level receiver I'd just get some bookshelves. Audioadvisor.com has the Energy C-3 for only $250 a pair right now which is a sweet deal. The Ascend CBM-170s for an extra $100 are also worth looking at, do a Google search for all the reviews.

5. AndrewLevine

what exactly would you consider 'entry level?' at the moment i am indeed running a cheap sony stereo reciever, altho upon the purchase of a new pair of speakers I was thinking of purchasing the Denon 1506 or a comprable Onkyo. (77W/c) Do you think that would be good enough to bring out some power in the Athenas?

6. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

"entry level" IMO = under about $500-600 for an analog receiver.

I would especially stay away from Onkyos, like Sony they are notoriously underpowered with inflated RMS numbers.

If you are set on the F2s I would buy an HK, they are the opposite of the Onkyos in that their wpc numbers are UNDER-rated, so a 55wpc HK will easily blow an allegedly "100 wpc" Onkyo out of the water. Look at Harman Audio on eBay for some great deals on factory refurbs with full HK warranty. If your receiver budget is around $300 I'd look at an HK3480 from jr.com