Athena choice!!??

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Adam.Heckman, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

I currently have Athena AS-B2s for my mains with the AS-C1 as my center. Surrounds are leftovers from an HTiB.
    I want to upgrade my speakers by replacing my mains and moving the AS-B2s to the back.
    BB currently sells the AS-F1s and AS-C1s for the same price. The AS-C1s can be oriented in the vertical alignment for use in any position.
    My question is this: which would you all prefer to have the AS-F1s for the mains or have AS-C1s across the front. My initial reaction is AS-C1s across because I'll be building a Tempest Sub near the end of the summer so low end won't be a problem.

thanks in advance!!

2. Nigel Hooper

Nigel Hooper Stunt Coordinator

The C1 is the weakest in the line. I would add B1s as surrounds and get a B2 as your center and have all B2s in the front. If you're running a sub you simply do not need the F1 or F2s as mains.

3. Leonard B

Leonard B Stunt Coordinator

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I'd vote 3x C1's.

What is everybody's problem with the c1?? I don't understand it. If it's lack of extreme output as compared to the F2, then I say, so what? How many times will you actully care that the C1 won't out-gun an F-2...

The goal of HT is not to go deaf as quickly as possible.

5. Nigel Hooper

Using a B2 sounds much better than the C1. That's the issue here.

6. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Colin, my main issue with the C1 is horizontal dispersion. It's fine in the center seating areas, but dialog clarity is poor for off-axis seating areas. This caused me to think the C1 was not powerful enough to keep-up with the F2's but this may not be the case. Since I have placed the C1 vertically, the dispersion problem has cleared up. My belief (only my humble and non-expert opinion) is that the design of the AS-C1 sometimes results in "lobing".
    I found this quote at:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-9-2001.html

I've read quite a bit trying to determine what was causing my troubles with the AS-C1, since most reviews are positive and most owners seem pleased with its performance. The only thing I can conclude is that the design is fine for most users and their rooms. In my particular case, a room with a wide seating area may have produced some problems.

7. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Understood. Sorry to all if it seems I'm a bit hot about the C1, I'm not.

I agree on the lobing issue. I use a B1 between two other B1's.

It would almost be a good thing to sell the single C1 and arrange for 3x 2-driver 2 ways. It's the horizontal MTM array, not the speaker itself.

8. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"If you're running a sub you simply do not need the F1 or F2s as mains. "

Unless you like 2 channel music at loud volumes. That'swhere the F2 excels..

B

9. Nigel Hooper

Absolutely.

10. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate the help and opinions.
    I personally don't have a problem with the C1. Mostly because my room is smallish to mid and I ALWAYS sit in the calibrated position.
    I'll agree on the C1s not-so-hot off axis response. It also doesn't help that Athena vertically aligned its tweeter 'dispersion ring'.
    Another factor is I do not actually do much, if any at all, 2 channel listening. I'm all about the SACD/DVD-A now.

Nigel, I'm intersted to hear your thoughts on why the B2 sounds better than the C1. If you'd like to expand I'd definately appreciate it.

Leonard and Chuck, thanks for the links.

Any more input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

11. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

"It also doesn't help that Athena vertically aligned its tweeter 'dispersion ring'."

Ah-HA - If used as mains, it would be correctly aligned...Strange it's not able to rotate, Athena's marketing people dropped the ball on that one.

12. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Yes, unfortunately in the AS-C1 the dispersion ring looks like this:

()

The only arguement that I could put forth for Athena is that turning the ring on it's side like the bookshelves would result in a VERY wide center channel. As it is, the speaker is 17.75" across.

Nigel, I hope you visit this thread to let us hear about the AS-B2/C1 comparo. I'm very interested!

13. Nigel Hooper

I did a lot of comparing and found the B2 as a a center had better dynamics, wasn't as "flat" sounding, had better dispersion and was able to stay at a calibration level of 0 rather than 2 or 3 hot to cut through. I found dialogue improved somewhat and music was much more involving. The C1 always sounded somewhat honky and muffled. Was advantageous to have it slightly behind the L+R as well. I sold my C1 and used the extra B2 as a rear center and couldn't be happier with the sound right now. That may change next week if the upgrade bug bites but for now the B2 as a center has me pretty satisfied.

14. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Thanks for the update, Nigel.
    I have heard some slight honk, but only one one recording. Thanks for the input, nigel, and everyone.

15. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

MTM centers are all compromises. Avoid the c1 if at all possible and go with one of the bookshelf models. I have a front-projection setup, so I'm running an F1 as a center between F2s, with the bipole surrounds. Amazing setup for multichannel music as well as DD/DTS. The ability to run the whole suite as "Large" is great for hi-rez music, and even when set to "Small" for DD/DTS soundtracks the advantage of the large fronts/center is apparent...especially when you get near reference levels.

16. GraysonAng

GraysonAng Stunt Coordinator

Is the AS-C1 the center speaker that comes with the Point 5 system?

17. Nigel Hooper

No the Point 5 is a toy system like the Take 5s are.

18. GraysonAng

I like the Point 5 system, which has 5 S.5 speakers and I guess a C.5 center.

If I want to upgrade the center, should I get the AS-C1?

19. Nigel Hooper

They use the same tweeter so it would be timbre matched and a bit of an upgrade Grayson.

20. GraysonAng

I'm looking to upgrade my Athena Point 5 MK II with a better center speaker.

Would the AS-C1 be the best choice?

I asked Athena and this is what they said:

The AS-C1 in my opinion is the best. Bookshelf speakers (AS-B1 and AS-B2) don't sound
    proper when they are oriented sideways due to the shape of the tweeter
    faceplate.