Athena Audition series or Paradigm Performance series

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Derek H, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Derek H

Derek H Agent

I was first looking at a fluance speaker package, but I have now saved up alittle more money to get some "better" speakers. The Athena Audition and Paradigms Performance Series are almost identical in price up here in Canada, it also helps that both fit perfectly into my budget.

Athena: fronts AS-B2, Rears AS-B1

Paradigm: fronts Titans, Rears Atoms

Both the Athena and Paradigm are also relatively the same size speakers (ASB2-Titans, ASB1-Atoms). I will be running them with a Pioneer 912 (auto MCACC Kicks ass!!). I have auditioned both of them and I am still undecided, this is partly because I havent able to listen to them side by side and also I am not a expert.

So this is where I ask for any inputs which will help me make my decision, Thanks!!

2. HoiT

HoiT Agent

Athena does have a dipole/bipole surround speaker available at a list price of 350 cdn - a nice upgrade when youare ready. The corresponding surround speakers from Paradigm (cc 370 or cc 470)cost a lot more. Apart from that, I think both are good speakers.

HoiT

3. Mike^C

Mike^C Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    Nyet.. the CC-370 is the center channel for the Monitor line. For the Performance line, there's the ADP-170 for dipole/bipole sorround and the CC-170 or 270 for a center.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I'm not sure what the prices are you can get for the Paradigm stuff was, but the B2s were $200 boxing day week and the B1s were $150.

The would probably say the Atoms are the best of this bunch, but they retail for more than $200 after discount.

Brent

5. eryn shannon

eryn shannon Stunt Coordinator

I have the athena audition series speakers paired with a pioneer 812 amp with two athena p-400 subs and it sounds amazing. Verry crisp accurate sounding system good for both movies and music.

6. Derek H

Derek H Agent

Which speakers do you own? also have you compared them to paradigms before?

7. Derek H

Derek H Agent

Can you tell me why you think the Atoms are better than the Titans? I thought the larger drivers in the Titans would be more beneficial

8. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I chose the Atoms over the Titans when I first got into home theater because I could not tell any difference between them when I included a sub. If you are not going to have a sub, then you may prefer the Titans. I love the Atoms. I think they are a wonderful bargain.

9. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Just look around for reviews of the Atom over the years, it has the smoothest midrange you can buy for noticably more money.

The mid woofer is the reason! The Atom uses a 5 1/4, the Titan uses a 6 1/2 mid.

For a small system I don't think you can beat the 5 Atom thing(all around), sure the Titan may be able to play a little louder, but when combined with a sub the Atoms will go more than loud enough for most people.

Just listen side by side, have a small sub like a PDR10 to fill in the bottom end when comparing and I doubt you'll think the Titan is better.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've owned Titans and Atoms, and I always preferred the Titan to the Atoms, even with a sub. The Atoms lack some fullness that the Titans have. Running them full range, I prefer the Atoms, because they do sound cleaner, but do lack the bottom end to be effective on their own, IMO. For just under the price of Titans, you can get the Axiom M3Ti which is clearer than either of the 'digms, though it has about the same bass extension as the Atom.

11. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I will second the recommendation for Atoms.

Take the $s (not a lot but every bit helps) save between Atom and Titan and spend it on a sub.

I had a set of Atoms for years as my rear speakers and used them as mains a little when moving and I think they are the best thing for cheap I have ever heard. A sub is going to make MUCH more of an impact on bottom end extension than going to the titans.

12. Derek H

Derek H Agent

Thanks for the advice guys, but I would like to hear some comparisons thoughts between the two brands.

13. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

i can't compare sound, but here's a point.

Paradigms in vancouver usually get a bigger discount than athenas (at futureshop). The paradigm dealers I know will knock quite a bit off the price (last I saw, titans for $235CAD, atoms for $180cad), whereas the athenas don't tend to get much discounting at all (-$20).

As well, this may not be much of an issue but I find the paradigms look nicer. Simple black and nicely squared off, whereas the athenas just aren't as pleasant to look at.